News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Gray three slot chrome - What did I buy??

Started by shortrackskater, May 09, 2016, 09:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shortrackskater

This topic is a discussion about this phone as purchased. A topic containing everything about the restoration of this phone can be found at this link:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16232.msg168225#msg168225

=================================================================

Hello
I don't know what compelled me to throwing in a higher bid at the end of this auction, but I did! Just won this phone last night and I really don't quite know what I bought. It just looked cool but I'm hoping it's mostly original and that it works. I did know I was bidding with some other buyers that had high ratings so I'm assuming THEY knew what they were bidding on. Here's the listing. I'm hoping I get it within a week or so. If anyone has any information for me now, I'd greatly appreciate it!  :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/381615251329
Mark J.

rdelius

A quick look at the photo shows the housing made by Grey so pre 1948. when AE bought the rights and or machinery from Gray and moved to Chicago.. but the set has been rebuilt.Handset and dial shrowd are newer at least 50s when the type 80 components cane about.No anti stuffing coin return in the Grey years also.Hook is for the type 81 handset on it so it is also newer vintage also.I will have to see the auction to get a better look.Parts are newer than the origional housing but at least they are old.Phoneco sells a chrome set with a new housing and it might fool newcomers. Checked the auction and I think you did not over pay.I hope the guts are intact.you will need a 29 s key to open the upper housing

shortrackskater

Thanks for the info.
Did phone companies typically change out parts on phones like this, just to keep them in service? Or would this more likely been done by someone who just owned the phone after it was removed from service?
That 29s key seems expensive! Does anyone sell just repo copies? Or is that just the going price for that particular key?
I recently bought a early 80's AE payphone (my first one!) and just drilled out the locks but if these are original locks, I'd rather keep them intact.
Mark J.

poplar1

phoneco sells repro 29S keys (catalog Y29S) for $10 (or $7 for phone club members and dealers). Not the best keys. See if perhaps on the back of your phone, all the screws are screwed from the back. Originally, two of them were inserted from the front (inside of the phone). If you can remove those screws (up to 7 I think) on the back, then you can remove the back without having either key.

http://phonecoinc.com/topic.asp?map=1&hhrl=home&gorl=group&group=main&category=Paypart&topic=01022

http://phonecoinc.com/category.asp?map=1&hhrl=home&group=main&gorl=group&category=Paypart
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

rdelius

Paystations were a large investment .they were expensive so they got rebuilt or upgraded through the years.vandalised sets might have gotten new or used parts also.the sets most likely got stripped down to parts painted or plated as needed.Handsets bufffed,painted or replaced etc.Anti stuffing coin returns might be added,Ols 2 peice sets might have been upgraded-Rochester telephone did that in the 1960s to sets built in the 20s and 30s.I would not worry to much about it for what you paid.I just hope the guts are intact.I used to clean up chrome sets that looked bad with 0000 steel wool.I would not use the green pads.

trainman

Need to wait until you get inside. Cross your fingers you didnt buy one of PhoneCo's recreation payphones.

rdelius

Doesn't look Phoneco.Ron uasually put Bell System phony inst cards and a Bell sticker  on the dial.Ron did not reproduce  a Grey coin vault .he might have saved that for a 2 piece paystation

shortrackskater

Thanks again everyone. It's shipped ...coming to Southern California from Illinois.
The suspense is going to kill me. I guess I should wait on getting a key in case I need an entire lock and key. I'll post back ASAP.

Weird...I'm getting an internal service error on the links...?
Mark J.

shortrackskater

Okay it's arrived! Still have no idea what I bought...
The top lock was open - the cash box is locked and somethings rattling in there; it almost sounds like there's a key in it.
The tag on top says LPB 82 55
It appears to be missing a part in front! Hmmm looks like a coin relay goes there... :-\
I plugged it in and it gets the dial tone. I will also receive calls but won't ring or dial out. When I removed the top box, I noticed the contacts were very dirty. So I wiped them down with some contact cleaner and a small rag. Soon as I post this, I'll it back together and plug it back in.
There's two stickers inside labeled "DTA" with a date of May 1979. Someone made a nice wooden base for it , and on the bottom were two stickers, pictured.
Here's the pictures! Hope someone will chime in soon and tell me the good (or bad) news. I guess I will need keys. The top lock is intact.
Mark J.

DavePEI

Yes, you are missing the coin relay. With regards to the possible key in the coin box, it is possible that is you hold it upside down, that you can shake it out via the coin channel... If you are very lucky, it just might be the key, but more than likely is only a coin.

See my page on the LPB 82-55 at: http://www.islandregister.com/phones/3slot.html

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

shortrackskater

Thanks Dave
I'll try the gentle shake method! Hey ... if we have a earthquake here, like were "supposed to," maybe it will shake out???  :D
I'll give it a try later today and hope. Funny thing... I found a loose screw and tried to put it back where I thought it went and I dropped it right into one of the holes and into the box! Oops. I did see another coin and the screw when I looked in with a flashlight so that may very well have been what I hear. But I'll hope there's a key in the corner.
BUT at this point I have a few questions.
1. What's the best source for getting the proper relay?
2. What's the approximate cost of the relay? I'm not happy with this ebay seller, not posting pictures of the inside when they very well could and should have.
3. What's the best place for keys?
I see this stuff on ebay but I'd like a recommendation. :)

Mark J.

Stan S

Unfortunately there are more concerns with your Gray payphone than just not having a coin relay.

1- The Gray bottom doesn't match the internal wiring of the phone. The payphone isn't a Gray it's an Automatic Electric LPB 85 or maybe a -55 if you want it to be. Made many years after Gray went out of the payphone business.
2- The internal parts of the hopper have been destroyed and the hopper locked up in one position.
3- As Dave mentioned you need a coin relay. Hey Dave, hope you are well!
4- The harness wiring for the coin relay isn't there. Could be the wires (4 of them) are hidden by the angle of the picture.
5- Most of the wiring in the top of the payphone is missing. The coin microphone isn't connected. If you want the payphone to be 10 cent initial deposit (an LPB85 -55) you will also need to install a nickel counting assembly. Without it the phone is 5 cent initial deposit (an LPB85).

If you want the payphone to be just an extension phone it's fine the way it is (assuming you can get it to dial properly). If you want it to be 100% correct as a prepay phone with a controller it's going to need some parts and a lot of work.

Stan S.

shortrackskater

Thanks Stan for the detailed information. :)

The tag on top says LPB 82 55

I really want a complete phone that fully functions since I will eventually buy a coin controller.

Is this worth the $169 I paid for it? The seller didn't post pictures of the inside and when I got the phone I realized it was open and they could have easily posted pictures. He says I can return it. Frustrating...
Mark J.

DavePEI

What you need is a borescope to look down into the coin box. Handy device for seeing things in out of the way places... As Stan mentioned, the phone is an Automatic Electric, not a Gray, though it may be made up with several different brands.... That name plate means for sure the top section is made by AE.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13454.msg140817#msg140817
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

shortrackskater

The seller offered the option to return the phone.
I may do that since it doesn't appear to be worth the money I paid I think. I'm willing to do some work but this phone sounds like a "Frankenphone" to me!
Mark J.