News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

RCA Bakelite and Brass Model 75X11

Started by Doug Rose, February 21, 2022, 12:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I picked this up at an Antiques store in Maine Yesterday. I had looked at the Radio, decided against it and was leaving, when I got the, "once your gone its gone" and went back to it. 25% of dealers, total came to $40.39

Found an AC Outlet and it worked. No static but in a huge metal building so I only got one station, but it was clear.

I thought it was Bakelite and hoped it was Brass. I went at the Bakelite with Norvus and a Mr Clean Bar and the Brass with Whites and fine steel wool.

This came out much better than expected.

Does anyone have any info on this? I have zero knowledge on radios....many thanks....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 21, 2022, 12:33:30 PM
Does anyone have any info on this....  ....many thanks....

Cute radio. Late 1940's.

Glad it tested ok but radio collectors advice is never plug a radio directly into the mains to test. You were lucky it didn't go bang.

If you Google the model number quite a few sites come up in the search results with images and info. Possibly a current eBay listing or two as well.

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

Quote from: FABphones on February 21, 2022, 12:54:10 PM
Cute radio. Late 1940's.

Glad it tested ok but radio collectors advice is never plug a radio directly into the mains to test. You were lucky it didn't go bang

CJ....info said it was working on the tag, so I plugged it in to verify before I paid for it. You would not have tested it? ...Doug
Kidphone

19and41

They're a nice little performer when restored.  The questionable capacitors have either paper of the age of the component, or use an electrolytic compound and fiber material.  Each are spirally wound. in the paper type, the paper in addition to the capacitive qualities, keeps a voltage differential separate.  If you have handled newspaper of that age, you know how delicate it becomes.  It can short out the circuit with no warning.  It's roughly the same with the electrolytic units.  If you hear a 60 cycle hum in your radio, that is the result of one or more capacitors degrading.  It'll be as humless as a transistor radio with new paper and electrolytic capacitors.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

FABphones

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 21, 2022, 04:00:53 PM
....so I plugged it in to verify before I paid for it. You would not have tested it? ...Doug

I learnt some years ago (can't remember where) that aged/old radios should not be plugged in to see if they work. Consequently, I was never tempted to look any closer into them (literally) until fairly recently. This thread showing three of my radios gives more info (in particular replies 3, 7, 14, 15, 16):
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=25264

Reply 7 offers up a link which says:
'the temptation is to plug it in and try it out. That's always a bad idea.
For all you know, the set may have a short circuit in the power cord, failed electrolytic capacitors in the power supply, or other serious problems not obvious to the naked eye. Turning it on prematurely may damage expensive parts or even start a fire.'

Not knowing if the radio actually was tested or just believed to have been, and in view of the above quote, if I wanted the radio tested prior to purchase I would have asked the store owner to try it out. Then stood well back....
😱

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

LarryInMichigan

That is a nice looking radio.  It is not especially rare, but it has some value.  My guess would be that it could sell for $50-$75 if there is no damage to the bakelite.  You should be able to find some that sold on ebay.

Larry

19and41

If you should need any service literature, just ask.  I've done 2 of them.  This one was the second.  The dial window was heavily oxidized and I wet sanded about a 16th of an inch off the surfaces of it to get to clear plastic.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Quote from: 19and41 on February 21, 2022, 11:21:11 PM
If you should need any service literature, just ask.  I've done 2 of them.  This one was the second.  The dial window was heavily oxidized and I wet sanded about a 16th of an inch off the surfaces of it to get to clear plastic.
Man that is a fantastic restoration