and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1949-50 Western Electric 500 on eBay

Started by ....., February 14, 2020, 08:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andre_janew

The price is approaching the $400 mark.

guitar1580

WOW!  $871.42  Which one of you guys is the proud new owner?  'Twasn't me.  It is pretty though.

Josh

tubaman

That's a lot of money, but it does look like a really nice phone.
Way outside what I'd pay for a phone unfortunately.
:)

HarrySmith

Way to much for a Black 500 without matching dates!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

What was the final verdict of this being the real deal? To me it has matching dates and it is in wonderful condition. With the dates off a couple of months on the beginning of a run, they match. The inside is in amazing shape.

This is SEVENTY years old.

How does this compare to Dan's 49 500?

If Janet brought this home, I would be thrilled. To me, this is the real deal. I thought it would have gone for around $1500 tp 2K.

Your thoughts?...Doug

Base: 1-50
Housing: 10-26-49-3
7A Dial: 1-50
Ringer: 1-50
Network: 12-49
Equalizer: 12-16-49
Handset: 11-49 (no dates on caps)
Receiver element: 1-24-50
Varistor: 12-49
Transmitter element: 1-50
Handset cord: III-49
Line cord: I-49
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I asked the seller where he go the phone...Doug

New message from: yahoo57 Top Rated Seller(7,497Green Star)
Hello,

I bought this phone last year at a local auction in Illinois. It did not have a number card in it and I don't know its history. It did have a newer aftermarket 4-pin plug on it, so it had been moved around and used. I think somebody had just used it and it wasn't part of a collection because it was the only phone in the auction. I enjoyed having it on display in my living room, but my collection is more vintage radios than phones and I decided it to pass it on.

Your previous message

Western Electric 49 500 set. I watched your auction until this got to expensive for me. It is a wonderful set. Can you tell me any information about it. Was it from your collection or how you got it....I do appreciate it you taking the time....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 22, 2020, 08:12:50 AM
What was the final verdict of this being the real deal? To me it has matching dates and it is in wonderful condition. With the dates off a couple of months on the beginning of a run, they match. The inside is in amazing shape.

This is SEVENTY years old.

How does this compare to Dan's 49 500?

If Janet brought this home, I would be thrilled. To me, this is the real deal. I thought it would have gone for around $1500 tp 2K.

Your thoughts?...Doug

Base: 1-50
Housing: 10-26-49-3
7A Dial: 1-50
Ringer: 1-50
Network: 12-49
Equalizer: 12-16-49
Handset: 11-49 (no dates on caps)
Receiver element: 1-24-50
Varistor: 12-49
Transmitter element: 1-50
Handset cord: III-49
Line cord: I-49
This  is a January 1950 based on the date of the base and on the transmitter element.  That makes it a production set.  The earlier parts were part of stock.

I talked to a WE executive (long ago). He said parts started before production. This allowed for production to continue if some portion of the line was down.
I have read the transmitter was considered the weakest part of the phone. The date of the transmitter is the date it came off the line. This was in a Bell System publication most likely labs or tech journal.

My guess is  the 500 production sets  started  January 1950. If a set is fully dated 1949, I consider it pre-production. The last quarter of 49 could be production sets as well. I think few if any of the 1949 sets when  off the line went to subscribers, these went to Bell people. or the field trial testers.
I was told the transmitter date is the day it came off the line.
This is just an opinion,
I do not have any documentation to back this theory.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.