What is the Largest Amount Of Telephones You Found at One Location

Started by Doug Rose, September 14, 2010, 08:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just4Phones

Are any of your 10 buttons for sale?   They are my weakness  ;D

kleenax

Quote from: Just4Phones on December 09, 2012, 11:15:35 PM
Are any of your 10 buttons for sale?   They are my weakness  ;D
All of those 10-button examples are now in the JKL Museum; sorry.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

AE_Collector

Quote from: kleenax on December 09, 2012, 09:55:27 PM
I'm a little late to this thread (looks like about 3 yrs:), but oh well!  You people always get me going when I see topics like this on here!

I just found this thread way back in forum history so I sticky'd it to put it in the lime lite and bring it back to life. There are many threads that had lots of contribuions and lots of views but eventually they go dormant and slip off the front page sometimes never to be seen again. Has anyone heard from MagicMo (Maureen) lately?

Terry

MagicMo

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 10, 2012, 11:17:28 AM
Quote from: kleenax on December 09, 2012, 09:55:27 PM
I'm a little late to this thread (looks like about 3 yrs:), but oh well!  You people always get me going when I see topics like this on here!

I just found this thread way back in forum history so I sticky'd it to put it in the lime lite and bring it back to life. There are many threads that had lots of contribuions and lots of views but eventually they go dormant and slip off the front page sometimes never to be seen again. Has anyone heard from MagicMo (Maureen) lately?

Terry

Hi Terry! I'm still here, I sign on everyday to read through all the posts, I'm trying to learn as much as I can. In case anyone is interested I have not sold anything, I was actually throwing around the idea of selling at a telephone show. Any ideas? Good idea?
To answer the thread question: I dunno? I couldn't possibly begin to answer that. Let's just say a whole bunch! LOL!
Take Care,
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

Doug Rose

Maureen... I will again implore you to take pictures of you picturephone and try it on eBay. You will be happy beyond your wildest dreams. Post you car phones on eBay as well, everything else is fine at a phone show. The picture phone is special. You will not be disappointed and will not ever feel you did not get the most you could for it. Dad would agree with me....Doug
Kidphone

Russ Kirk

Perhaps take the phone to a show, let people see it and generate some excitement.  Maybe have TCI write an article about it.  Then let the clubs and forums know when you are going to list.  That way most key bidders will be aware.  It is like doing free advertising.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Dennis Markham

Quote from: Doug Rose on January 10, 2013, 07:48:00 PM
Maureen... I will again implore you to take pictures of you picturephone and try it on eBay. You will be happy beyond your wildest dreams. ....Doug

For what it's worth, I agree with Doug 100%.  If you decide to sell that picture phone, eBay is the place.  Anywhere else and you'll short yourself.

MagicMo

Quote from: Doug Rose on January 10, 2013, 07:48:00 PM
Maureen... I will again implore you to take pictures of you picturephone and try it on eBay. You will be happy beyond your wildest dreams. Post you car phones on eBay as well, everything else is fine at a phone show. The picture phone is special. You will not be disappointed and will not ever feel you did not get the most you could for it. Dad would agree with me....Doug

Hi Doug, I totally agree with you and I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I never even thought about selling the Picturephone at a show, yet alone sell it period. I am seriously hung up on selling the Picturephone. In your opinion, would it be beneficial to hang on to it for a few years? I welcome others to comment as well.
I am slowly realizing it has become something more than just a phone that I can make money on. I know this sounds weird but it is going to be a difficult thing for me to sell. I was even thinking about contacting Bell Labs and asking for a large amount to donate in my father's name to his favorite charity- St. Judes Hospital. I'm not ready to take the Ebay plunge just yet. Your thoughts?
Thanks,
Mo

MagicMo

Quote from: Russ Kirk on January 10, 2013, 08:01:56 PM
Perhaps take the phone to a show, let people see it and generate some excitement.  Maybe have TCI write an article about it.  Then let the clubs and forums know when you are going to list.  That way most key bidders will be aware.  It is like doing free advertising.

Great idea!
Thanks,
Mo

AE_Collector

There is a definite tendency for certain types of phones to be sought after and then as more time goes by interest in them diminishes. Wooden magneto phones are a prime example. They have steadily been dropping in value for the most part. Things become too old for the people collecting them as they are no longer the stuff the collectors remember when they were young.

I know little about the Picturephone but my guess would be that we are roughly in a prime time frame to sell it. A few years more wont matter but 20 more years and the guys here who really want it will be downsizing their collections and moving into care homes!

Just my thoughts on timing.....

Terry

HowardPgh

The largest amount of phones I saw in one place was at a phone auction in Axton, VA.    1980s era.
Howard
Howard

Doug Rose

This April, Janet's sister and brother in law were up visiting from Ft Lauderdale, they went off to our favorite Flea market in Northern MA on a beautiful Spring Sunday morning before the sun was up. I stayed home and got my beauty sleep. Didn't work  :o Jan calls me and she has met this dude who cleaned out a Hotel in NH. She bought everything that he had and we agreed to meet the following week. It was pouring rain. He showed, we showed and we filled our CRV with phones. Filled so we could barely move. We agreed to meet in a few weeks. More of the same, filled the CRV again. I mean I had boxes with eight 302s on my lap as Jan drove home. 100s of 302s, dial... manual, in great shape and all in boxes of Comdial and ITT 500 sets. Ton of parts.  IV 36 manual 302s ...Plus a lot of older stuff that I don't think came from the hotel, or maybe was from the phone system before.  ;D B1s, D1s Metal WE wall phones This what I have read about. Most of these phones were never touched. Matching dates. Even the broken phones were parts heaven. Janet was amazed at my negotiating skills. I amazed myself! He was happy, I was thrilled.

My guess is this hotel swapped out its phone system and went to a  500 set upgrade. These phones probably sat in a basement for decades. He didn't say how he came to get them, but he sure had a lot of phones. I still have a basement full of phones. Every time I open a box it is like a kid at a candy store. There are still 100s phones that I have not even seen. He had a WE switchboard that I had to pass on, no room.  :'(

We found his phone number and called him a few weeks ago to see if he had any more left. Jan met him in Manchester NH and she got the final 37 manual 302 sets he had last week so now the story can be told.

This was the Holy Grail!.....Doug
Kidphone

DavePEI

Quote from: Doug Rose on January 22, 2013, 05:46:22 PM
This April, Janet's sister and brother in law were up visiting from Ft Lauderdale, they went off to our favorite Flea market in Northern MA on a beautiful Spring Sunday morning before the sun was up. I stayed home and got my beauty sleep. Didn't work  :o Jan calls me and she has met this dude who cleaned out a Hotel in NH. She bought everything that he had and we agreed to meet the following week.

This was the Holy Grail!.....Doug
You bet it was, Doug! I have gotten a few buys over the years, but compared to this, they are miniscule. Buys like that just don't show up here!

All Hail - Doug, the King of huge finds!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Bill

Doug -

Was that hotel The Balsams Grand Resort Hotel in Dixville Notch, NH? My family and I stayed there on several occasions about 25 years ago. At that time, they had their old manual corded switchboard on display in the lobby. Every time we went, I tried to buy that switchboard, but the manager insisted on keeping it "for the decor". I always wondered what happened to it. Did you by any chance pick it up?

Bill

Doug Rose

Bill...he could not remember the Hotel's name. He had a switchboard and I had no room. It is gone now...DOug
Kidphone