"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

2-tone vs. Black dial

Started by Kenny C, April 12, 2011, 08:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

Is this how these sets are recognized?

2-tone= Black Handset, Dial, and Cords with colored housing.

Black dial set= Colored housing and Handset, black dial, and Gray cords.

Is this correct? I would like to see some pictures of both types. :)

Thanks,
Kenny C.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

ESalter

I'd say you're right except for the gray cords on the black dial sets.  I have a red black dial set(my avatar) and it has black cords.  Everything on the phone(including the cords) is dated '54 so I know they're original. 

A conversation with Dennis M. about these sets is actually what led me to this forum last year.  He brought to my attention most two tones and black dial sets have straight handset cords where mine is coiled. 

I know for a fact there are a couple guys on here that collect these two types of phones, so I'm sure they'll have lots to say.

---Eric

Dennis Markham

Kenny, Jonathan (jsowers) has posted detailed information showing the differences in a two tone and what he calls a black dial set.  I have been searching for a few minutes and can't seem to find his post on this.  However I did find this one:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2265.msg30089#msg30089

Look at Jonathan's reply #16 for a couple of photos.  I'll continue to look for his posting that was very detailed about the differences.

Kenny C

Thanks Dennis,
The reason I ask is that I plan to get some soft plastic parts and buld one And wanted it to be correct.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

jsowers

I don't mind chewing my cabbage twice.  :)  Thanks, Dennis, for the links, but while you were researching, I was writing it all over again, so I might as well post it.

Kenny, you're correct. Two-tones can be found in any number of colors, but the promoted colors for two-tones were red, green, ivory and dark gray. They were made from 1953-57, for the most part. The only color part of a two-tone is the housing and the rest is like a regular black phone. They could be had with either a straight or coiled cord and you seldom see them dated after 1956.

The color phones with black dials and fingerwheels were only four colors made for a short time from late 1953 to very early 1955. Most of them will have 1954 dates on them. They were red, dark blue, dark gray and yellow and most will be found with dark gray cords. Coil cords were always an option during those years, so either a straight or coiled handset cord is correct.

The brown, dark beige, ivory and moss green phones made during the same time had matching dials and clear fingerwheels. Ivory and brown had matching cords while dark beige and moss green had dark gray cords.

Sorry I don't have a picture to post at the moment, but maybe tomorrow if I have time to look. If you search the Forum for "black dial model" or "two-tone" you will probably find a lot to see and read.
Jonathan

Kenny C

Thanks Jonathan,

I really like the look of the two tone sets. Reminds me of this 8)

or any two tone car ;D
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

paul-f

Quote from: Kenny C on April 12, 2011, 09:12:22 PM
The reason I ask is that I plan to get some soft plastic parts and buld one And wanted it to be correct.

Kenny,

Basically, you can't go wrong.  When colored parts were coming out, WE apparently had problems getting them all out at the same time and started shipping phones with whatever combination of parts happened to be available -- and filling in with black parts or gray cords, etc.  The funny part is that the BSPs called them "full color" sets, even though some of the parts didn't match!

I have an oxford gray set that is all gray, except the dial.  I was set to swap out the number plate for a gray one, until I learned that it was most likely made and delivered the way I found it.

Check out the back issues of Singing Wires in the TCI members' area for the series on the 500 sets published during 2009.  The May issue focused on color and should give more insights.  Several of us looked through many color brochures from the early years -- and included copies of some of the more interesting ones in the bonus pages.

So, do whatever you think looks good -- and enjoy it.  Chances are good that there's an ad or catalog somewhere that shows the combination you created.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

jsowers

Quote from: Kenny C on April 12, 2011, 09:30:17 PM
Thanks Jonathan,

I really like the look of the two tone sets. Reminds me of this 8)

or any two tone car ;D

You may have noticed that the era for car two-tones and phone two-tones is about the same time. After 1958, except for a few exceptions, two-toning was limited to the top being a different color from the rest of the car. The Buick Invicta models from 1959-61 were often two-toned, and in unusual colors like Tahiti Beige and Cordovan (a brownish purple color). I found a picture online of a 1960 Buick Invicta 4-door flattop in that combination, posted below. The top and rear flanks were also Cordovan. If you've ever used shoe polish, you may know Cordovan from that.

Also, I think a two-tone was slightly cheaper than a "full color" set because of most of the components being from a black phone.

That's a great '57 Olds Starfire Ninety-Eight Convertible there. The yellow and black Mercurys and Fords were startling too.
Jonathan

Jim Stettler

Kenny,
After full color sets became avaliable, 2 tone sets werte still offered, However. The 2 tones were field created with a black phone and colored housing. I have the BSP referance for this somewhere.
I think I referanced it in some of my early postings.

Jim

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.