News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 302 Line Cord Connection

Started by bellsystem, June 26, 2017, 11:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellsystem

Okay, everything is handy dandy EXCEPT one small thing...

The ear piece does not work.

Not sure why.

Could it have something to do with the yellow wire? (currently not connected to anything)
Or is it a problem with the earpiece itself?

ringer works, the other party can hear crudely the mouthpiece input, the phone dial works, can make calls, etc.
Just nothing in the earpiece, ever. No dial tone. No other party coming in.

Want to figure that out before I wrap up this homemade connection block I made... otherwise this will only be good for making pages and not having any feedback!

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: bellsystem on June 27, 2017, 05:54:58 PM
Okay, everything is handy dandy EXCEPT one small thing...

The ear piece does not work.
A common cause of no receiving is one of the spring contacts in the receiver cavity being bent down and not touching a contact on the back of the receiver unit.

While it's out measure its resistance between the dot in the center and outer ring.  Should be about 35 ohms.

bellsystem

Unfortunately, I have no equipment to measure ohms...

Could you please just let me know which contacts are causing the problem and how to fix it?

Also, the ringing is fine but I feel like the bells are a little sluggish. It isn't nearly as loud as ANY of my 500s... even on SOFT volume.

Can't attach a video, but hopefully you know what I mean... any way to revamp the ringer?

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: bellsystem on June 27, 2017, 06:16:57 PM
Could you please just let me know which contacts are causing the problem and how to fix it?
I suggest investing $10 in a DMM.  You're going to need one to beat AT&T and VZ.  Without one you can test the receiver for dead/alive by connecting a 1½V dry cell of any type to the receiver at the telephone set end of the handset cord.

The WH and RD handset cord leads inside the phone feed the receiver.  WH is connected to the W terminal of the dial.  RD is connected to the R terminal of the induction coil.  Temporarily disconnect them and touch them to the ends of the dry cell.  If you hear a click the problem is further into the phone, not the receiver unit, handset or handset cord.

If you don't hear a click unscrew the receiver cap by turning it counterclockwise.  That's the one at the end of the handset you put up to your ear.  Once the cap is off you will see the receiver unit.  It will fall out if you turn the handset over.  The spring contacts are in the cavity (empty space) under the receiver unit. 

Bend them up slightly and replace the receiver unit and cap.  If that does not fix the problem remove the receiver unit again and use 2 scraps of wire to extend the battery ends to the contact ring and center dot on its back.  A click indicates the receiver is good.  No click indicates it's bad or the dry cell is dead or you have not successfully made the required 4 connections at the 2 ends of the 2 pieces of wire.

If the receiver unit is good but bending the contacts up does not enable you to hear a click when the battery is connected to the RD and WH handset cord leads the handset cord is bad.

Doug Rose

"That's the one at the end of the handset you put up to your ear.  The handset is the thing you hold in your hand. "

Mr. Bell you be pushing it.....snarky to the Max.

We are a friendly place, these answers belong back on the Lists.

You already are very proud of yourself, no need to talk down the your rapt audience.

You might remember this from Lists gone by....it's a hobby...it's supposed to be fun.
Kidphone

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Doug Rose on June 27, 2017, 06:32:27 PM
  "That's the one at the end of the handset you put up to your ear.  The handset is the thing you hold in your hand. "

Mr. Bell you be pushing it.....snarky to the Max.

We are a friendly place, these answers belong back on the Lists.
I re-edited it, taking that out while you were commenting.

bellsystem

Bent up one of the things in the receiver. Problem fixed. Phone is 100% working!

Thanks all for all your help again!

Here's a final picture of this beauty!

mentalstampede

Awesome! Glad it's working 100% now. Looks like a very nice phone.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein