News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

$760 TYPE 85!!! (Correction-291)

Started by Sargeguy, July 14, 2018, 12:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

A really nice TYPE 85 fiddleback with a bevelled 7-digit, but $760!!!  WOot!!!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Here is a nice one I bought for $300 last month.  I also paid $227 for a bevelled 7-digit transmitter last week, but it had a TYPE 288A attached to it.

The one in the auction has a steer horn hook, but it was not an older type, just a normal TYPE 85 with some nice parts (An older one would have holes for a small celluloid L&LD bell on the left side right above the writing shelf).
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I just noticed that the top has been shortened by about five inches, probably an expedient means of removing the three binding posts/terminals.  That is why you cannot see the usual holes for the original 242 arm, the top one is missing and the other one is covered by the #10 arm, which is placed lower than usual.  Normally they would just screw the new arm on using the holes left by the original.:o
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

I was watching that one also.  the wiring diagram says its a model 291 - also the mounting brackets for the shelf look pretty new.  It seemed to be a nice parts phone that sold way too high.
Dave

Sargeguy

I did not notice the tag, so it is a CA Electrical Works 291, which explaind the bidding war.  How did you get that picture?  I can't view the closed auction photos.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

I can still see all the pictures.  Do you want me to post the pictures here?
Dave

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

pics
Dave

wds

pics
Dave

Sargeguy

Looks like a chopped down WE TYPE 85, doesn't have the original flat condenser and the back has been routered.  The back does look a little different from a dtandard modified TYPE 85. So maybe the TYPE 291 just replaced the backboard on a TYPE 85??? Also, look at the binding posts that the receiver cord attaches too-they are (moved?) inside the phone and are not the usual type used on a TYPE 85.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409