"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My First Craigs List Buys

Started by Jester, May 06, 2010, 05:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

D/P:

I think they are rated for 10,000 hours of service (conducting current). I think the ringer will fall apart if it rang for that much time (416 days).

Jorge

Dan/Panther

Jorge;
I sent someone a 426A awhile back, and it turned out to be bad, did I send it to you ? I don't recall. It was someone close by I think.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JorgeAmely

D/P:

You didn't send it to me.
Jorge

Jester

Jorge,

Thanks for the connection info.  Did you find this on a schematic or work it out mentally?
Stephen

Dan/Panther

I think Jorge worked it out himself, he's kinda mental. :o
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Jester on May 07, 2010, 05:38:53 PM
Jorge,

Thanks for the connection info.  Did you find this on a schematic or work it out mentally?

Mentally.
Schematically (sometime tonight) if you tell me it didn't work for you.  ;)

PS: Actually, I learned how the tube works a few years ago, when coincidentally, got a 501 phone from Texas.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/WesternElectric501PhoneWithA426ATube#

Jorge

Jester

Here is the second find from this trip-- a Rose Pink 500 dated 12/57.  This was what I was interested in as I headed to San Antonio.  Because of when I was veiwing the picture & how blurry it was, I had it in my head that I was looking at a pink 5302!  Needless to say, I was disappointed when I saw it--especially the condition it was in!  Still, I figured I'd regret not going home with it, so I snapped it up.  This one & the 501 T were $45.00 each.
Stephen

Jester

The last of my finds is this 554 "frankenphone".  My interest in this was the 228A modular mounting plate & the base, dated 8/57.  Total cost was $10.00, making my total purchase $100.00 for three phones.  I could have easily paid that for the 501T or the pink 500 on fleaBAY, PLUS shipping!
Stephen

JorgeAmely

The pink one looks nice (except for the slightly faded cord). What don't you like about it?
Jorge

Jester

Both the handset cord & the mounting cord have been cut.  I'm sure I can resolve these problems, but I would have rather had them whole. 
Also, someone pried the U1 capsule out of the receiver by the vent holes. :o :o  This left the metal bent outward, which ate a ring onto the inside of the cap.
Stephen

JorgeAmely

Jester:

I see the cut now. Soldering plus shrink sleeving will take care of that. I think D/P developed a process to restore the pink color to these cords.

The scratches inside the cap can be softened with a Q tip dipped in acetone.
Jorge