News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

302 magneto??

Started by HarrySmith, September 22, 2010, 03:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I was just offered this phone, at first I dismissed it as I am not into magneto phones at the moment but then I took a second look and realized it looks like a 302! I figure if a 302 was hooked up to a magneto it must be the suscriber did not have common battery service avaialable yet so it must be an early one. I have requested more pictures.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Phonesrfun

Looks like a 302, but it's a 250.  Basically a 302 with no guts other than a hookswitch.  This served as a "modern" replacement for a candlestick on rural magneto-based local battery systems.

-Bill G

HarrySmith

Got a couple more pictures. Appears to contain ringer and screw for condensor mount. Does not contain vents :(
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Phonesrfun

Usually the subset had the ringer so the desk set did not have one.  In this case, the desk set has the ringer because the subset does not.  I don't know which numerical model this configuration was.
-Bill G

paul-f

Ask for the mounting code.

Is the handset a F1W?

It's probably AA1 or AB1.  Either could be modified by the phone company (usually an independent) to add a ringer and capacitor, if needed

http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

HarrySmith

I am going to look at it tomorrow afternoon. She is asking $85.00 for it. I offered $50.00 and she said she will take $60.00, think that is a fair price?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Bill

Quote from: HarrySmith on September 22, 2010, 05:01:54 PM
I am going to look at it tomorrow afternoon. She is asking $85.00 for it. I offered $50.00 and she said she will take $60.00, think that is a fair price?
Without a dial, I'm not sure that it is. I suppose that a magneto is worth something, but a 302 with no induction coil, no capacitor, and no dial is kinda bare bones. I recently bought a dial-less 102, in better shape than the one in the picture and with an E-1 handset, for $22. Probably an extra-good deal, but still ...

I think a 102 is generally valued higher than a 302. But perhaps a 250 (as opposed to a 302) has some additional collector value, since it is less common. Just my thought, though - take it for what it is worth.

Bill

paul-f

Based on the interesting discussions on the club lists that this may be a H7 (307) set, check out the Singing Wires archive CD -- Jan 99 and Nov 97.  Even with a little rust, it may be worth saving.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Wallphone

Harry, Did you get any pictures under the hood of the 307 yet?

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Wallphone

That was good timing, thanks Harry. It looks just like the one I found in my stuff pile. With a little research (thanks Paul F.) it looks like it is a 307-A.

KeithB

The magneto appears to be in excellent condition, and the magneto box itself requires little more than cleanup and re-finishing.