and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 500 please teach me!

Started by vivi, October 11, 2010, 04:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vivi

Quote from: Brinybay on October 11, 2010, 09:41:04 PM
Quote from: vivi on October 11, 2010, 08:22:23 PM

Beyond what year would you not buy a phone?

I would probably quit the year I die.  Or do you mean the year of the phone?

Ha,ha,ha! You're too much!

Jonathan, I really appreciate your input and your pictures bring to light that my bezel is TOTALLY different than yours.  I can't wait to get the retainer ring on and see if it's a go. I want this phone for my red kitchen and I don't want to buy another one.... I paid enough (and way too much according to what Y'all are telling me  :-\).  Anyhow, we live and learn, right? Well, I will begin looking at Craigslist more often as I "itch" for a new acquisition.  I will also try to look for the 60-64 dates for color WE 500 phones, but what do you recommend for black and white ones?

BTW, would you recommend Northern Electric vs western or bell? Or are they the same? What about Stromberg Carlson phones -are they the same as WE ? better?

Again, thanks everyone for your input! I'll post progress once I get the ring on it. Take care y'all!
~ Vivi
Hello? Hello? Are you there? ;p

bingster

There's no quality difference between Western Electric and Northern Electric phones.  Western Electric was the Bell System's US manufacturing company, while Northern Electric was the Bell System's Canadian manufacturing company.   Stromberg-Carlson phones are very well built, and are quite collectible in their own right. 
= DARRIN =

jsowers

Quote from: vivi on October 11, 2010, 11:21:34 PM
Jonathan, I really appreciate your input and your pictures bring to light that my bezel is TOTALLY different than yours.  I can't wait to get the retainer ring on and see if it's a go. I want this phone for my red kitchen and I don't want to buy another one.... I paid enough (and way too much according to what Y'all are telling me  :-\).  Anyhow, we live and learn, right? Well, I will begin looking at Craigslist more often as I "itch" for a new acquisition.  I will also try to look for the 60-64 dates for color WE 500 phones, but what do you recommend for black and white ones?

BTW, would you recommend Northern Electric vs western or bell? Or are they the same? What about Stromberg Carlson phones -are they the same as WE ? better?

Black phones from somewhere around 1955 to 1965 are fairly cheap and very plentiful, so look on eBay and be patient and you will find a good one for not much money--less than $20. They changed very little during those years. The older cords are a bit thicker.

White phones--look for one that isn't faded. White hard plastic faded easily in the sun. They fade to an ivory hue and the actual color can be seen inside the handset caps. You can reverse it with the retrobright process, but unfaded ones are still out there. The white phones from 1957 to mid-1959 are soft plastic and go very high because of their rarity. The white 500s from late 1959 to about 1973 are nice phones and go a lot cheaper, maybe in the $20 range. White is also fairly plentiful and will go cheaper than red or pink. Be sure your phone doesn't have any chips or cracks by asking the seller if they don't mention it (they rarely do).

Craigslist varies a lot. I've never found anything worth investigating on it around where I live, but you may have better luck.

I agree with Bingster on the WE-NE-SC stuff.
Jonathan

paul-f

Examine any bright white 500 set carefully.  The phone company often refurbished phones by painting them.  Since the light colors - especially white - showed color fading the most, they were often painted.  Finding a non-faded original plastic 500 is unusual.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

JorgeAmely

Here is a brand new, never used before WE500 in white color. It is dated 9-58. The only problem is that the moth that ate part of the box where it was stored since 1958, also made a tiny hole and ate part of one of the foot pads. Other than that, it is perfect.

Jorge

vivi

Quote from: JorgeAmely on October 12, 2010, 02:55:10 PM
Here is a brand new, never used before WE500 in white color. It is dated 9-58. The only problem is that the moth that ate part of the box where it was stored since 1958, also made a tiny hole and ate part of one of the foot pads. Other than that, it is perfect.

Jorge, are you selling it to me  ;D? How much did y'all say was a good price: $20? $30? Just kidding! Thanks for showing me the white color... I have not come across one that white on Ebay... it's beauuuuutiful! Will keep my eyes open! Thanks!
~ Vivi

JorgeAmely

vivi:

If interested, the rest of the pictures of this album are located here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/NeverUsedBeforeWhite1958WesternElectricModel500#

Just click on the first picture, then the right arrow. Enjoy!
Jorge

HarrySmith

I'll take it! Even with the brown spots ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Greg G.

Quote from: vivi on October 11, 2010, 11:21:34 PM

Again, thanks everyone for your input! I'll post progress once I get the ring on it. Take care y'all!

For me personally, I usually don't go beyond the 60s for vintage phones, although I do have a couple of 70s in my collection, but they are still hard-wired versions.  One reason for that is when Ma Bell was murdered in the 70s, phones went to crap once they became just a product that was sold to the end user like any other appliance.  When Ma Bell owned the phones, they were made to last, that's why we find 70yo phones that are rusted, corroded, beat to death, but still work. 

As far as preference for one manufacturer or model over another, that's all individual, whatever rotates your dial.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

deedubya3800

Quote from: Brinybay on October 12, 2010, 04:25:45 PM
whatever rotates your dial.

And here we have another one for the blurb page! :D

vivi

WOW Jorge! N-I-C-E collection you have! I love the AE80s... the pink one is sweet!
~ Vivi

vivi

Okay guys, back to the project at hand: the red "pieced together" piece of junk I payed way tooooooo much for...  I am sorry, I mean, the red WE 500 I am trying to fix so I don't feel so bad  :-\....

I ordered and received replacement modular plugs to replace the 2 that had been put in it some time back when it was refurbished.  Well, the handset plug, no problem to replace, new one had same # of wires as the old one.  The line cord one though, had one less wire than the new one... new plug came with a black wire that I don't know where to put. Any ideas? Maybe with the green one? there's a black "cloth" wire there already.... ???
~ Vivi

HarrySmith

For the line cord you only need red & greeen. Connect to L1 & L2.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

vivi

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 13, 2010, 02:51:58 PM
For the line cord you only need red & greeen. Connect to L1 & L2.

Harry,
do I cut the black wire, tuck it aside or what?
BTW, I don't know who's sending me a retainer ring -you or Dennis-but I sure can't wait... I wanna plug this sucker in and see if it works!!!  :P 

I also got some Novus 2 today (with the new plugs and a new shiny clear dial wheel...... I know, I know, throwing more money at this phone..... :-\) and I am trying to work at the scratched up body.... I think someone sanded this sucker and left it worse...... please someone tell me to throw it out and start over again with the red phone project  :( !!!!!!!!!
~ Vivi