News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1974 Trimline phone ringer?

Started by texbodemer, May 08, 2023, 10:23:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Quote from: texbodemer on May 11, 2023, 01:30:52 PMThere's a red and gray striped wire that's disconnected in a little pouch that I think may be the culprit.

It's called slate-red (S-R).  It is not needed except for certain party lines. In the diagram, it is shown connected to G, but there are no other wires connected to G. My memory is that it was it was stored in the plastic pouch. However, either way is OK.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

texbodemer

Perfect. It's still in the plastic pouch. Thanks! I would love help understanding the diagrams also.
"Life is short, write in pen"

texbodemer

There are no other wires connected to G? On mine, I think the yellow one is hooked up to G

AL_as_needed

It is possible your phone was setup to ring on a ground circuit or party-line type application. If you look at the wiring diagrams on the forum (if it exists, there is a diagram for it), that is sort of a "default" or standard setup. Stick to that and it should work for in-home or collector use.

Unless you can convince some neighbors to join in the collecting and start a party line  8)  hahaha.

Follow the basic wiring pattern and test 'er out. If you do make changes, make them one at a time so you know what to un-do if needed.
TWinbrook7

TelePlay

The yellow wire was used for grounded ringing years ago. That used 3 conductors, red, green and yellow.

The current ringing configuration is bridged ringing using 2 conductors, red and green.

Basically, today, the ringer red and black wires are connected to line red and green with a 0.5 uF capacitor in series (the K terminal).

The P1A ringer had 4 conductors, 2 of which (the slate and red/slate) are not connected to anything, are taped off. Only the red and black are used.

Chances are there is nothing wrong with the ringer (doesn't need adjustment). It's probably one of the ringer conductors being attached to G and must either be moved to the line terminal or a wire added to connect the G terminal to the line terminal.

What terminals are the ringer red and black conductors connected to right now?

texbodemer

I'm not near it, but here are the photos I took yesterday

*See reply #6

TelePlay

That doesn't help. The wiring harness in the Trimline is a rats nest. I need you to trace the red and the black wires to the terminal they are attached to. That can't be done with a photo.

What terminal is your red ringer wire attached to and what terminal is your black ringer wire attached to?

TelePlay

This is the AD2/AD3 wiring diagram from the TCI Library.

The ringer circuit is simple. The ringer conductors and colored with their appropriate colors and the complete circuit is highlighted in yellow, from Line Cord Green connecting to network terminal L1 through the ringer circuit (including the capacitor in the network between K and A) to network terminal L2 connecting to Line Cord Red.

Ringer wires Slate and Slate/Red are not used and are usually taped off if not connected to anything.

If Slate/Red is connected to G on the network, G is not connected to anything after that so the G terminal is a dead end for the Slate/Red ringer wire.

If Slate is connected to W, W is not connected to anything unless you have a message waiting lamp on the phone and I can't recall ever seeing a Trimeline with a message waiting lamp so essentially, the W terminal is a dead end for the Slate ringer wire.

TelePlay

This is all I can do for you. These images were taken from my 1977 WE AD2 Trimline.

The first image is the network as wired by WE at the factory.

The second image is the network diagram of all terminals on the network (Note: the capacitor is soldered to pads adjacent to the A and K terminal)

The 3rd image shows the ringer wires on their terminals: Black on L1, Red on K, Slate/Red on G (dead end connection) and Slate on B (another dead end connection).

The 4th image shows the 4 ringer wires (Black, Red, Slate and Slate/Red as they come out from under the ringer.

Assuming the 2 line cord conductors (Red to L1 and Green to L2) are so connected, your ringer if connected as shown in the images below should work (make sure the ringer volume slider is in the "loud" position). Do the simple stuff first, verify the wiring connections, before taking the network off to get at the ringer to do adjustments I've never had to do.

Also, have you tried to attached another/different phone with a ringer to your "Cell2Jack" box and if so does it ring? Is it only the Trimline that doesn't ring? If neither ring, it could be your "Cell2Jack" doesn't or isn't creating enough AC voltage or current to operate the electromagnetic straight line ringer in your Trimline and not the Trimline ringer itself.

texbodemer

Those look like perfect diagrams!