News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

not your average 302

Started by Kenny C, October 09, 2010, 08:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

The dial is a 4 h from III-3? the last digit was covered in paint but its either a 8 or 9 I just got word that the E1 is still available
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on October 10, 2010, 09:46:47 PM
i am out of storage space but my dad is fixing to build a shop and is giving me the 8X8 tool shed  ;D

8x8 is a good size for a "starter" phone shed,  Take a little time to plan it out. You should put some shelfs in it. A small bench is also handy. It is a lot easy to set up an empty shed.

Mine currently has 150 bankers boxes in it besides the bench and shelfs.

I moved them all (a distance) daily for about 2 weeks straight, While I was re-doing the shed.

I still need to move the boxes out to  build some more shelfs.
Currently I am rearranging the phone room to hold the excess boxes.

Jim
BTW I came across 42 trimlines in the shed
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

bingster

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on October 11, 2010, 01:40:35 PM
The dial is a 4 h from III-3? the last digit was covered in paint but its either a 8 or 9 I just got word that the E1 is still available

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about that E1 unless it dates from the second quarter of 1937.
= DARRIN =

Kenny C

what are your opinions on stripping and repainting it?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

KeithB

It's a fair bit of work, Kenny.  If you're up for it, it's certainly worth doing.  But if you strip and repaint one part, you'll have to strip and repaint ALL of the external parts.  It's kind of like buying a $1.50 pack of brass screws to replace a few on your boat.  When you get that done, you notice the turnbuckles are all rusted, then that piece of trim needs replacing, etc, etc . . .  ;D

Kenny C

I planed to repaint it all. I am getting an E1 in the mail this week and I got some cloth cords. Going to get an overlay for the Dial and get the Dial serviced and repaint the finger wheel, remove all of the rust and that melted rubber gasket, get the feet recovered but nothing major. ;D
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

All of the screws on the Ind. coil are made of brass.  ??? is that because its early and they wanted to use good material?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

bingster

Up until the late 1930s, all their induction coils had brass fittings.  I'm not sure why they changed, though.  It might have been a cost-saving measure.  Or maybe brass was becoming a critical material by then because of the war.  Other industries started cutting back on critical metals by 1939, so that may have been the case in the Bell System, too.  Unless the new version of the 101A coil came out before then, in which case, I don't know.  ;)
= DARRIN =

Kenny C

this is the induction coil right?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

Yes, that is the induction coil.  I didn't even notice that the screws were brass.  I learned something I didn't know about the 302's today with the use of brass screws.

Kenny C

they are beautiful polished i am almost done with the base parts.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

here are the chassis before and after. Still a few patches of rust but not much Its the worst on the ringer assembly. Any ideas how to remove it?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

as seen in this picture the cord restraint was bent so after a few taps with a hammer i fixed it
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

KeithB

I hope it was a small hammer ;D and very light taps! 

Seriously though, I use needle-nose pliers with freezer tape wrapped around the jaws to prevent unnecessary scratching.  The pliers provide more control and leverage when working in tight spots.

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010