News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first foray into classic phones

Started by jkpenrod, February 26, 2015, 05:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkpenrod

Someone on our local yard sale group through facebook posted some phones they were selling, a total of 7 in all, for $40. I asked if they worked, she said 4 had a dial tone and two others she could not test. I jumped at the chance and picked them up. Included in the lot were 4 model 500, one from 72, though all the inners and dial are marked 59, just the case and base are marked 72 (yes it has a metal finger wheel). The second one is marked 68, the beige is marked 72 and the light colored one is marked 81. All have dial tone, place and receive calls, but only the 81 rings. On the front row we have a Leich which has dialtone, the middle is a wall mount from 94 which I have been unable to test as I do not have the proper setup and the last is a french phone Properiete de l'etate which has had the wall connection cut..

It is the last phone that really has me stumped if anyone has any information on the last phone I would appreciate it.

Welcome to CRPF, great find. Post up some pictures so we can see what you have.

jkpenrod

Quote from: Autonut on February 26, 2015, 05:27:26 PM
Welcome to CRPF, great find. Post up some pictures so we can see what you have.

Sorry I was working on getting the pics uploaded to post them. had to bounce around between my phone, tablet, and two computers and three websites to get it done, but they are up now.

Russ Kirk

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

LarryInMichigan

Welcome to the forum jk.  Seven phones for $40 is a hard deal to pass.  The phone in your last pictures is a French U43.  These are rather elegant looking phones.  Note that this model does not include an internal ringer, so unless someone stuck a ringer into it, it will not ring.

Larry

NorthernElectric

Quote from: jkpenrod on February 26, 2015, 05:21:01 PM...one from 72, though all the inners and dial are marked 59, just the case and base are marked 72 (yes it has a metal finger wheel).
Do the innards look like the other 500s or different.  I'm not an expert on these but does the metal finger wheel make this a 5302?
Cliff

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

jkpenrod

Quote from: NorthernElectric on February 26, 2015, 08:50:28 PM
Quote from: jkpenrod on February 26, 2015, 05:21:01 PM...one from 72, though all the inners and dial are marked 59, just the case and base are marked 72 (yes it has a metal finger wheel).
Do the innards look like the other 500s or different.  I'm not an expert on these but does the metal finger wheel make this a 5302?

From what I can tell they look the same. I mean someone with a more trained eye might be able to pick up on subtle differences. From what I could tell the metal finger wheels were used on the early model 500 before they switched to plastic in the early 60's. At least that is what my research turned up, but I am sure someone here can correct me.

jkpenrod

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on February 26, 2015, 07:52:54 PMThe phone in your last pictures is a French U43.  These are rather elegant looking phones.  Note that this model does not include an internal ringer, so unless someone stuck a ringer into it, it will not ring.

Larry

Well as I mentioned, or at least meant to memention, the U43's cord has been cut so there is no way to plug it into the wall to even check dialtone. Is that something that can be repaired and is it worth it?

DavePEI

5302s are made from the chassis of 302 telephones. They were made during the transition from the 302 telephone to the new (then) 500 series.

Due to demand for a more modern looking phone, they designed the 5302 case which mounted directly on a 302 chassis with little cost. When the 500s came out, they were very expensive to manufacture. They issued these for several years until the cost of manufacturing the 500 series dropped to the point where it became feaseable to drop support for the older phones.

So, in reality, a 5302 is really a 302 in sheep's clothing :)

500s were also manufactured with metal finger wheels for a number of years. The 5302 case though similar to a 500 case is foreshortened to fit the earlier chassis.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: jkpenrod on February 27, 2015, 05:15:50 AM
Quote from: LarryInMichigan on February 26, 2015, 07:52:54 PMThe phone in your last pictures is a French U43.  These are rather elegant looking phones.  Note that this model does not include an internal ringer, so unless someone stuck a ringer into it, it will not ring.

Larry

Well as I mentioned, or at least meant to memention, the U43's cord has been cut so there is no way to plug it into the wall to even check dialtone. Is that something that can be repaired and is it worth it?

The line cord can easily be replaced on the U43, and I certainly think that it is worthwhile.  Loosen the one screw on the bottom of the phone at the back.  The small bottom cover should hinge down and come off.  The phone line should be connected to terminals 9 and 10.  There is probably a wiring diagram on the inside of the cover. 

I have two of these phones, one black and the other ivory (link 1, link 2).  I think that they are among the better looking models in my collection.  If you don't want to keep yours, you should not have trouble finding an interested buyer.

Larry

NorthernElectric

Quote from: jkpenrod on February 27, 2015, 05:12:53 AMFrom what I could tell the metal finger wheels were used on the early model 500 before they switched to plastic in the early 60's.
Quote from: DavePEI on February 27, 2015, 05:37:19 AM500s were also manufactured with metal finger wheels for a number of years. The 5302 case though similar to a 500 case is foreshortened to fit the earlier chassis.

Thanks for clearing that up.  I knew that the 5302 was a 302 on the inside dressed up in a 500ish looking case.  I don't think I've ever seen one in person, at least not since I have been interested enough to notice.  I did not know that metal finger wheels were used on 500s.
Cliff

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: NorthernElectric on February 27, 2015, 07:51:22 AM
Quote from: jkpenrod on February 27, 2015, 05:12:53 AMFrom what I could tell the metal finger wheels were used on the early model 500 before they switched to plastic in the early 60's.
Quote from: DavePEI on February 27, 2015, 05:37:19 AM500s were also manufactured with metal finger wheels for a number of years. The 5302 case though similar to a 500 case is foreshortened to fit the earlier chassis.

I did not know that metal finger wheels were used on 500s.
Metal fingerwheels on black 500s were used from the release year (1949) until about 1964-65. Plastic fingerwheels on color 500s were used starting in 1953, when colors started being introduced. To cut down on costs and make the 500 more standardized, clear fingerwheels were used on all 500s starting in 1965.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

Quote from: DavePEI on February 27, 2015, 05:37:19 AM
5302s are made from the chassis of 302 telephones. They were made during the transition from the 302 telephone to the new (then) 500 series.

Due to demand for a more modern looking phone, they designed the 5302 case which mounted directly on a 302 chassis with little cost. When the 500s came out, they were very expensive to manufacture. They issued these for several years until the cost of manufacturing the 500 series dropped to the point where it became feaseable to drop support for the older phones.

So, in reality, a 5302 is really a 302 in sheep's clothing :)

500s were also manufactured with metal finger wheels for a number of years. The 5302 case though similar to a 500 case is foreshortened to fit the earlier chassis.

Dave

I think your description of the 5302 story is pretty much a myth.

The 5300s were not at all a transition model.  They were first made not until almost 5 years after the 500 was first issued and they kept them for almost 10 years until 1964 or 5 to use up the stockpiles of 302 parts that hadn't been used to the extent of their scheduled lifetime.

5300 set 'production' only started AFTER the 300-series were already out of production, MD.

While the acquisition cost of the 500 set was initially indeed higher than that of the 302, the overall cost saving of expansion with 500 sets was actually lower than using 300-series telephones, because of the simultaneous changes in the loop design.

Greg G.

Quote from: jkpenrod on February 26, 2015, 05:21:01 PM
Someone on our local yard sale group through facebook posted some phones they were selling, a total of 7 in all, for $40. I asked if they worked, she said 4 had a dial tone and two others she could not test. I jumped at the chance and picked them up.

Very nice start, welcome to the madness!  In the future, don't bother asking if they work.  They're usually easy to fix and you'll find plenty of trouble-shooting help here.

Quote from: jkpenrod on February 26, 2015, 05:21:01 PM
I'm not an expert on these but does the metal finger wheel make this a 5302?

No.  To tell at a glance, look at the back of the shell.  The 5302 has a truncated back end compared to the 500.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e