News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

engineers choice?

Started by Babybearjs, February 19, 2015, 06:49:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I recently refurbished a design line candlestick phone and noticed the way the ringer was wired. was it just the engineers choice, or company policy to follow the wiring diagram. in a normal 500 and 2500 phone the slate and slate/red wired go across the A and K terminals. but in the design line phones I noticed the they are taped off and the red (or black) wire is in series with the A and K terminals. any idea why? when I put my candlestick phone back together I wired the slate and slate/red wire across the A and K terminal like they are suppose to be.... so, does anyone know why the schematic was designed this way? is it because the company wanted it this way, or was it the engineers choice?
John

G-Man

You did not specify the particular model or the ringer number, but presumably you are referring to single-gong ringers that are tapped for ANI on 2-party lines. In that case they are not intended to be wired in the usual manner. The wiring diagrams in the TCI Library should affirm it.

G-Man

Here's a representative DesignLine wiring diagram.

Babybearjs

yes, see how the bell is wired.... now why did they do it that way when the slate and slate/red wire normally would go on the A and K terminal... for residential wiring... shouldn't this be wired just like a 500 set?
John

unbeldi

Electrically, it doesn't matter in which sequence the ringer coils and the capacitor are connected when the telephone is used in individual, bridged service.
The standard wiring for C-type ringers on single party lines indeed was to place the capacitor (A to K) between the ringer coils, probably because that uses the smallest number of connecting points.  But the P1 ringers for these phones have all coils wired in series already and provide taps (S, SR) at the required impedances to produce the proper tip-to-ground resistance for party identification on message rate lines. So for individual service, the taps are unused and stored.

G-Man

Quote from: Babybearjs on February 19, 2015, 01:30:57 PM
yes, see how the bell is wired.... now why did they do it that way when the slate and slate/red wire normally would go on the A and K terminal... for residential wiring... shouldn't this be wired just like a 500 set?
As shown in the schematic, the ringer shown is wired differently than the "C"-type ringer typically used in the "500" and other similar models of telephone sets. "C"-type ringers have two separate coils wound on their core while the type of ringer shown in the schematic is wound with one continuous coil. On "C"-type ringers, the capacitor is used to couple the two coils together in series, though it could have been inserted at any other point. Some later "C"-type ringers were also wound with a continuous coil and were wired in the same manner as the single-gong ringer shown in the schematic.

Actually, I'm surprised you haven't experienced a problem by allowing dc current to continuously flow through the coils by not having a capacitor inserted in series,

poplar1

John, look at any Princess or Trimline phone and you will see that only the red and black ringer wires are used.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.