News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is this a home paint job? "White" Manual 302

Started by Kenton K, May 12, 2017, 01:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenton K

This looks like a home paint job to me. Although the matching cloth cords and number card color shroud make it more 'authentic'. Compliments to the guy who painted this, I think they did a good job.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112405163352

Alex G. Bell

There were many small retailers which sold out-of-date phones to the public for use as "illegal" (unauthorized) extensions before customers were allowed to own their own phones.  Almost always these phones were painted some color other than black since for a legal phone rented from the phone company there was usually a 1-time charge for color in addition to the monthly charge for an extension.

The tell-tale indications that this is not a WECo refurbishing center paint job are two:  First that the number card ring is painted to match rather than being chrome or nickel plated.  Second the grooves in the handset handle and caps.  Phones painted at the factory used brown rather than black Bakelite parts without grooves, probably because the additional narrow edges resulting from the grooving increases the tendency for the paint to chip.

AL_as_needed

Im surprised they went through the trouble of matching the cords, and I too like how it looks. The color is kinda nice on the 300s shape.
TWinbrook7

Partyline4

Ha ha..I was just thinking about these ads I found in a Pop. Mechanics magazine from yesteryear...

They used to paint them and sell them to people, yes.

Alex G. Bell

Good examples.  As an afterthought, I doubt many manual phones were sold through these channels and during the time frame when they were being sold matching colored vinyl rather than cloth cords were readily available and economical.

So most likely this was a home paint job.  I've seen lots of them on eBay.  But the matching cloth cords are a puzzle.   Inspecting the strain relief bands for WECo code stampings and the spade tips (for shape) might yield useful clues to determine whether they're WECo or some other manufacturer's cords. 

I don't recall WECo making white cloth cords, only ivory.  Perhaps the cords were dyed or bleached.  Does the color go all the way to the ends of the jackets?  Are the leads cloth insulated or rubber?  All these details might yield some insight.

AL_as_needed

TWinbrook7

mariepr

Quote from: AL_as_needed on May 28, 2017, 10:01:15 PM
Do repro cords come in that color?

Yes. Check out Oldphoneworks.  They make a variety of cloth or vinyl covered cords including cords in white or in ivory.

AL_as_needed

Quote from: mariepr on May 29, 2017, 05:53:17 PM
Yes. Check out Oldphoneworks.  They make a variety of cloth or vinyl covered cords including cords in white or in ivory.

Been a long time since I last checked their site. IIRC their ebay store only offered black and brown last i was on there, thanks!
TWinbrook7