News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Norwegian: Tastafon (first std push button phone in Norway 1980)

Started by dsk, December 28, 2019, 09:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

The phone was officially introduced in 1980, here are the original drawings for the different versions.

dsk

Transmitter end receiver are equal dynamic elements. The pinout on the 6P6C jack differs from later phones, the line are comming in on pin 3 and 5.

The R button (=ground start) connects GND and one side of the rectifier bridge.

dsk

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

countryman

Interesting, "R" is not a flash key but more like the good old Earth button, but wired behind a rectifier (lower right corner of the last diagram). Tjeneste ledning in Norwegian seems to mean "Service Line"?

Do you know who actually manufactured this phone, and if it has relatives across the globe or in Europe? It's definitely worth collecting!

dsk

I have had this documentation since 82, but find it important to share. The "Tastafon" are still no great collectors item but still a non common phone. R = Eart/Gnd. button. And yes the third wire "Tjeneste ledning" is pretty equal to Service line translated. Usually this was Earthed.  The pinout makes many collectors believing the phone is not working. The RJ plug does not work if you change something, e.g. move the 3 pin female connector on the PCB 1 position.
Moving the connector 1 position to right so the 2 pins 3 and 4 hits the X and X and we have a  regular connection.

It is made by Elektrisk Bureau just outside Oslo (Billingstad) and is developed together with Televerket, the last made before deregulation process was started.

Look at the layout of the keyboard!

dsk

dsk

dsk

I had to adjust to 1980 after reading the book mentioned here.  8) dsk

dsk

As I mentioned, many of these were pulse phones, you could not change between tone and pulse. but you could get reverse or normal dial.  The documentation claims it to be 10 pps at 40% make.
This phone was made in w23 1986, and measured today in w34 2020.
dsk

PS I have done some testing of the equipment used for measuring, since this unit needs line power I had to put in an external power and a relay, the relay causes a delay so the speed probably 0.1-0.2 Hz faster and the reading of makpersentage should probably be as much as 6 higher.  That gives an adjusted reading of 10.2 pps and 41% closed. DS

Key2871

I saw the key pad layout, that's a bit odd from everythi g else, was there a reason for that?
And I would have taken the R button as redial, as most phones are marked such these days.
But a very nice looking phone, I like the Red color.
KEN

dsk

Denmark and Norway were of those countries who did choose to use the same layout as what was used on calculators and computers.  Today we can see that this did not end as the international standard for phones. 
I'm not sure that it is wise to have 2 standards, that is what we have ended up with, but it does not cause to big problems.
The R button was a ground button on these early phones, that was a common European way to recall the register on the same way as the US hook - flash. The function of the button is equal to the US ground start buttons.

dsk

Key2871

I agree, the dial layout is way differant, if one is used to the " normal" standard then they use this yea it's going to end badly, because someone won't get the person they expected.
As for the R button I see what your saying.
How old is that phone? I'm guessing because it tone it's not too old. Just curious..
KEN

dsk

This phone was released in 1980 as the last before deregulation. The design and layout had to be decided in the 1970'ies, and this was the first official non rotary phone in Norway!  The black phone with pulse dialing has production date 1986
dsk

countryman

Quote from: dsk on August 22, 2020, 02:38:47 AMThe black phone with pulse dialing has production date 1968
dsk

I believe you mentioned 1986 before, probably a typo?

In Germany, the first phones with keys appeared in the mid 1970ies for common use (FeTap 7xx seies). Tone dialing was possible on "modern" PABX of that time - the actual office lines often remained pulse dialing relatively long. The Post (later Telekom) then implemented ISDN on a broad basis, these offices also were tone capable (on their analog extensions) but the actual switching became fully digital.
ISDN now is also obsolete, but some VOIP routers provide an ISDN interface which allows to keep the existing ISDN PABX going.

dsk