News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Crimper for Spade Lugs

Started by HarrySmith, January 07, 2011, 09:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

That #3 die on the "602B" crimper schematic is identical to the #3 die on my old RS crimper.

If I didn't already have that old RS crimper, I'd order one from Phoenix.

If you get one, let us know if it works. It's got to be the same crimper. My old RS crimper is stamped "Taiwan" and that's where these "602B" crimpers are made. They have to be the same, I hope.

If it is the same and works well, many others who don't have the old RS crimper may want to ad this to their tool box. And, no, I don't make any money off of finding and sharing this link.  ;-D

Doug Rose

I use one exactly like this.....Doug

http://tinyurl.com/43njgct
Kidphone

Babybearjs

Interesting subject... I've had one of these crimpers for several years. founf it at of all places..... Radio Shack! and the spades too! they come in real handy when making jumpers and other applications... so for all you out there looking for a local souce for this crimper, check out your local radio shack!   John
John

TelePlay

Quote from: jsowers on February 02, 2011, 04:32:19 PM
Doug, I checked Radio Shack's website and they no longer sell the spade lug crimpers, so John is correct. The crimper you have is for D-sub pins, which are in 25 or 9-pin connectors in a parallel or serial computer cable.

The crimper that John (TelePlay) posted in the picture is exactly what I got from Radio Shack once upon a time, probably six years ago. It should work great on spade lugs. Hope you can find one.

Radio Shack quit selling the 5 die crimper with the 22-26 AWG telephone spade lug die some time ago. They now only sell a similar looking 3 die crimper that is for D-sub connectors and won't work well with telephone spade lugs according posts on this thread.

It seems a company called Phoenix Enterprises sells the 5 die crimper once sold by Radio Shack but the price is $10 plus $6 handling for a small order plus another $7 or so for shipping as reported on a post on this thread.

Radio Shack does indeed still sell the larger of the two types of telephone spade lugs, just not the telephone spade lug crimper.

See page 2 of the thread above for a good discussion of all this including pictures of crimpers and a tutorial on how to use them.

Babybearjs

and of all things to go wrong..... my crimper died! I went to crimp a terminal lug and it bent the crimper.... almost broke it... I don't know if I can fix it, but now I'm in the market for another one... anyone know where to get this now....   no local sources that I know of.....
John

TelePlay

I think the best source for one was in the above post. Click the link at that post and scroll down down about 1/3 of the page to their part number HWS15874 - MULTI-PURPOSE CRIMPER.

Looks like it is still available from their online store (scroll down to the part) for $10.60 plus shipping

and a $6 handling charge because the order is under $50 - all that from their web site check out.

Shipping cost is not available until you check out. Looks like a $30 or less item in total.

Babybearjs

John

Babybearjs

I just ordered 2 of these, they are the same ones I already have, the one I bought from R/S 10 years ago.... I tried to crimp the wrong type terminal with this and cracked the frame by the rivet.... hope these last a good long time!
John

debeaune

So John, you ordered 2 from Phoenix supply and are happy with them? HWS15874..Do they work well with the Radio Shack larger spade lugs? Thanks..Tim

TelePlay

Some 5 years later from the last search for a good crimper good source, I stumbled upon the "original" Radio Shack spade lug crimper for CHEAP today. But, it will take 2 to 4 weeks to get it as it ships from China. I know alibaba had these available but lot size was 1,00o or so IIRC. Someone in China got smart, bought a lot and is selling them by the each.

The upgraded crimper is only $6.55 plus $1.99 shipping. That is a real deal compared to US sellers, less than half price at the least.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-functional-HS-202B-Portable-Hand-Crimping-Tool-Plier-Terminals-Crimpper-/111959588367  ( dead link 8/1/22 )

(NOTE: there are 5 or 6 sellers out there selling these from China or Hong Kong, prices are in the $7 to $8.50 range)

The crimper was described in detail starting about and around this reply in this topic:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4071.msg60610#msg60610

which was identical, plus a few things added below the joint, to my old crimper purchased at Radio Shack some 20 years ago . . .

There are many (more than 10 available) and sold 201 of them to date at $6.55 each plus $1.99 shipping.

Anyone needing a telephone line piercing spade lug crimper, this is the one.

royalbox

Is that crimper from China mentioned in the previous post (HS-202B) suitable for the spades on UK 746 series telephones? I'm thinking of the terminals on the PCB and also the smaller ones on the dial. If so, is there a recommended source of those spades available in the UK? I'm not sure of the designated size so hard to search for. Thanks for any help,
Barry.

TelePlay

Having so many crimper and spade lug topics to post to, I am putting this here since it is a 4 page topic with a lot of information about spade lug crimpers.

As of this post, the 22-28 gauge self piercing spade lug connectors can be purchased in bulk for a good price from DigiKey. These spade lugs are about $0.08 each from DigiKey, cheapest I've found anywhere, at the 250 quantity price break. I bought 250 from them for $17.57 plus $1.06 tax and $3.21 shipping for a total $21.84 or $0.087 each. They are yellow in color.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/61498-1/A29922CT-ND/294360

They sell 100 for $8.15 plus $3.36 shipping plus tax for about $12.50 or $0.125 each. Hard to find them cheaper anywhere, unless you just want a few and don't mind paying a bit more for less inventory you will never use.

They also have this in light gray for a little bit more ($20.77 for 250 light grey and $9.64 for 100 - both plus tax and $3.36 shipping).

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/61498-2/A29923CT-ND/294361

============================

I just checked eBay and there are some for sale anywhere from $0.50 to $1.00 each in small quantities (10 to 100)

TelePlay

Quote from: TelePlay on November 05, 2016, 03:40:12 PM
Some 5 years later from the last search for a good crimper good source, I stumbled upon the "original" Radio Shack spade lug crimper for CHEAP today. But, it will take 2 to 4 weeks to get it as it ships from China. I know alibaba had these available but lot size was 1,00o or so IIRC. Someone in China got smart, bought a lot and is selling them by the each.

|
|

The crimper was described in detail starting about and around this reply in this topic:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4071.msg60610#msg60610

|
|

Anyone needing a telephone line piercing spade lug crimper, this is the one.

Someone asked my about spade lugs and I said they needed the right crimper. To my surprise, the HS-202B Crimper is now available from multiple US Sellers on eBay for under $10 with free shipping.

This eBay search link will bring up 8 listings from US Sellers. 

A month wait from China will get one a couple of bucks cheaper but a US seller under $10 with free shipping is a deal that can't be beat.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: TelePlay on January 09, 2011, 03:50:14 PMI've had that Radio Shack crimper for more years than the internet's been around (so I did get it cheap)

Do you know what the part number is for your old RadioShack brand crimper?

MaximRecoil

Nevermind, I found one. It's a "Kronus Telephone Crimping Tool," part number 64-2983. It says on the package "Exclusively at RadioShack" and "Custom Manufactured in Taiwan for RadioShack Corporation, Fort Worth, TX 76102." It's NOS and the seller has "More than 10 available." The eBay item number is 134124860705.

They are currently $9.95 and the shipping price for me was $6.25. That came to a couple dollars more than the HS-202B on eBay (which are currently about $14 shipped from US sellers), but for one thing, I'd rather have a RadioShack branded one that's made in Taiwan than a no-name one that's probably made in mainland China (I've had good luck with RadioShack branded tools and other stuff in general), and for another thing, every one of the US sellers of the HS-202B seem to be the same guy or a group of connected guys, because they are all from either South or North Carolina, they all use the same "Economy Shipping (DGM SmartMail Ground)" (which is apparently DHL, and slow), and they all have not-so-good feedback.

The seller of the RadioShack crimpers on the other hand, uses USPS First Class shipping (which is my preference), is from AZ, and only has 1 negative feedback, which doesn't even appear to be justified. Also, I got a notification from eBay that it's been marked as shipped 5 minutes after I ordered it.