News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Latest E-Bay Fun: AE-32A14

Started by Slal, April 11, 2014, 08:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slal

Happy me.  Another unexpected e-bay win.

Curious about the transmitter part #.  No biggie using phone.  People say I come in loud & clear & don't sound 'different' or far away.  Just wondering why 1933 catalog (4055) has diff. part #

Also interested in 'cut away' finger plate.  No mention of them in 1933 cat. 4055.  They were around back then or had to have been added later?   

Anyway, attaching photos just to see if everything else is kosher with it.

thx

--Bruce   

Slal

Bump. 

40+ views & no replies?  Not even "Congrads!  Nice phone!"

"Stub' might be only one who would know about part questions?

Should topic like this one be in a different place?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if main reason for joining was to have experienced eyes take a look at my purchases to see if 'legit', repro parts, franken-phone, etc.

And no one seems to be willing to comment... Hang it up?  No pun intended. ; )

thx

--Bruce

TelePlay

Bruce,

First, I am not familiar with that phone, or it's value or anything else about it. Looks good but what did you pay for it? What's the eBay auction link? That would help.

Second, slow day on the forum so far. Only 56 people have been on the forum in 18 hours, 6 to go. Maybe those working days will help you out once they get home. Also, the guys in Europe are just waking up.

It's only been a few hours since your first post. I know it takes a good day, a full 24 hours to get reasonable input. And, this being a phone many don't collect or know about, leaves you waiting for a handful of guys who do know to get on line and help you. And AE_Collector is still lost in a snow storm somewhere near. Otherwise, he is on a lot and would most likely comment.

Hope that helps.

Slal

Quote from: TelePlay on April 14, 2014, 08:38:48 PM
Bruce,

<snip>

It's only been a few hours since your first post. <snip> And AE_Collector is still lost in a snow storm somewhere near. Otherwise, he is on a lot and would most likely comment.

Hope that helps.

Yes, thanks for reply.  Although... erm... posted on April 11th & won it on the 8th so was getting a little antsy about possible return to seller if any major issues.

"Lost in a snowstorm" puts things in perspective though.  Who cares about a phone when someone's in a blizzard.  Hope he's OK.

thx

--Bruce

HarrySmith

I have no input on it as I am not familiar with it but looks like a nice find.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Best of my knowledge, this is an AE 1A with ringer ringer base added. The handset has its own induction. I heard they were only used in COs, but this is from my dwindling memory. Really nice phone, bakelite is very thin on these and the ringer cases is usually cracked or broken. One of the more Deco phones made. Nice hit!....Doug
Kidphone

stub

Bruce,
        That's a real nice AE 32 you have there!!! Your dial finger wheel shows up in the AE 4055 A Catalog , 1937 , pg 37. Your phone has all the correct parts . This phone is hard to find with the correct single gong ringer. These were used on Strowger PAX lines and other private systems .
          AE didn't date all their stuff as well as WE and others did so exact dating can only be between catalog issues , so more will always be known on WE,SC, Kellogg and other phones. Hope this helps.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Slal

Thanks for replies & encouragement. 

'Stub' to the rescue I guess.  Had seen his post featuring a different looking transmitter & diff part #'s for the 32A14 HS.

Catalogs I have for looking up part #s:
AE Bulletin 100-June-1929
AE Bulletin 1015 CB tel parts 1929 TCI_Mem (Implies 32A not yet avail, or not covered since would've been for internal PAX in office building?)
4055-June-1934-ocr-tl (first appearance of 32A14 HS type phones? Part #'s don't appear to match.)
4055-D_1944_ocr_r  (type 32A14 HS phones disappear or cat doesn't list phones for private exchanges? Type 38 & 41 HS only)

Missing if ever issued:
4055-A
4055-B
4055-C

(If issued, anyone know if these are available for download?)

--------------
And now for the brass tacks.

Was only bidder on an auction where seller didn't do the 'hidden reserve' game.  (Opening bid = his reserve) 

Paid $425

Bid was based on:

1.) Meyers 2005 price guide - $375 max

2.) Antique Store on the bay: $400 BIN but seller didn't reply to questions about HS.

3.) "Phone Store" on the bay: $500 BIN for one that had modern network & ringer in it.  (Why would this be more if missing original parts?)

4.) OPW: $600 for beautiful job on bakelite, but same issue: missing coil, ringer & condenser - modern network/bell added.

2300 / 4 = 575 ; toss high & low to avoid skew. 1325 / 3 =  441.66

So...

Fair market price or lost shirt?  Please be brutally honest-- only way I'll learn.

thx

--Bruce

PS: Hoping can get time off to make it to phone show up in Mesquite Texas.  Probably give me better idea on prices.

stub

Bruce,
         I gave 75.00 for mine and it was a lamp! Paid 26.00 for a A1 with tabs broke off cradle and put base on to finish. I guess it's fair market price from what I can look up.
         I don't have a clue why someone would put a network in a phone that doesn't need it!! 
         Here's link to Catalog  4055C - "Telephones, Telephone Parts and Substation Accessories"
June 1940 - 62 Pages. Supersedes Catalog 4055-B and all preceding Catalogs.
Available from "TelephoneArchive.Com" at this link:
http://pdfs.telephonearchive.com/gsps.html          stub

stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Greg G.

Quote from: Slal on April 14, 2014, 07:51:07 PM
Bump. 

40+ views & no replies?  Not even "Congrads!  Nice phone!"

"Stub' might be only one who would know about part questions?

Should topic like this one be in a different place?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if main reason for joining was to have experienced eyes take a look at my purchases to see if 'legit', repro parts, franken-phone, etc.

And no one seems to be willing to comment... Hang it up?  No pun intended. ; )

thx

--Bruce

My apologies for the delay, but nice addition to your collection!

Some feedback about number of "reads" and no responses, at least from my perspective. 

When I first joined this group about 5 years ago, it was a sleepy but happy little place on the internet.  I could be away from the forum for an entire week, and when I came back and there would be maybe 2 or 3 pages of unread topics at the most, which back in those days seemed like a lot.  I used to take the time to go through all the unread posts and comment where I could, or at least read them.

Fast forward to now.  It's grown quite a bit, and if I'm away from the forum for even a couple of days, I'll come back to find 5 or more pages of unread topics.   

I'll often check threads with new responses to see if there's some interesting info, but may not respond, so the software still records it as a "read".  Example:  I've read this thread 10 times (each time a new response was made), and the software records each time as a "read", but 10 of them are one person - me. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Slal

Wow!  That would be a good return for your investment if ever decided to sell them.  Have seen candlesticks as lamps, but a desk phone?  And how did you repair broken cradle?  Had been envious of that 3-ring binder of yours & now envious of your repair skills.  (Maybe that's what Poplar1 was referring to when he mentioned prices and "the restoration factor.")  Stub, how long have you been at this if mind my asking?

Brinybay, marking topics as 'read' hadn't occurred to me.  Too many new posts just clutter things up?  Guess I could find existing topic (Maybe a previous one about a 'trophy' 32 if it's been posted.)  Will keep that in mind before creating new topics.

Anyway, thanks for replies & encouragement.   Only 1 more phone in pipeline & then back to fountain pens if can find them.  Maybe phone collectors reach a certain point in collecting too.  Down to only 3 different models of Waterman pens in a specific silver overlay pattern from a 1908 catalog.   Those last three are very difficult to find-- been after them for years, but never know...  Won't see them on e-bay, or even at a pen show, but routinely e-mail certain sellers.  Nothing ventured nothing gained.

thx again

--Bruce

TelePlay

Quote from: Slal on April 19, 2014, 10:52:51 AM
Have seen candlesticks as lamps, but a desk phone?

For what it worth, here's a 29 page topic dedicated to lamp phone atrocities of all types, designs and conditions.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1000.0

or you can just browse the collection of photos from that topic here.

stub

Bruce ,
           I've been collecting phones since 08, found the CRPF and signed up in 09. The AE 1A with busted cradle was a parts phone for the 32 body that had two 3/4" holes in it. I can't fix the cradle. If I can help just let me know. Keep your phones ringing!!!!!!
           Good luck finding the other 3 pens !!!!!! Later, stub
Kenneth Stubblefield