"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40 Does Not break Dial Tone

Started by Doug Rose, February 12, 2011, 09:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

Kidphone,
               Sorry Doug ,I got sidetracked.  Can you post a pic of your drawing ,unfolded ,on the base?   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Quote from: stub1953 on February 12, 2011, 11:48:17 PM
Terry,
          Doug's drawing is on his base, folded , 5 pic from top ;D    stub

Stub: Okay, I worded that poorly. I meant is the drawing you show (Stub) THE drawing from YOUR 40 that has the 2 in 1 cap plus the "bonus" cap. Your drawing shows a 66 cycle ringer and is that what is in your 40 now or has the ringer been changed?

Terry

stub

Kidphone ,
                Doug can you place a piece of paper in the hookswitch pile up like this, in the picture. With paper in here there shouldn't be dialtone. This should break L-1 coming in to the phone and going to the dial.     hope this helps .  stub

Terry,
        The drawing is not mine. Mine has a 20 hz ringer and it works fine.    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Doug Rose

It did ring before. I swapped the wires to the dial on each side, separately and together. Removed the shunt. No dial. I hooked the ringer back up, off hook ....busy. I removed one lead from the ringer, phone works, no dial no ring. I replaced the ringer. Phone works and rings. I replaced the dial, can't break DT. Is it too early for a drink?? I appreciate all your help, this has been placed in the parts rack gently, only because its bakelite.........it's a hobby, its supposed to be fun......gggrrrr.....Doug
Kidphone

Wallphone

There has to be a simple answer at the end of all of your frustration. Did you check all of the soldered connections closely? I had one break loose on an AE 50 coil and it caused problems but with my memory, and not taking notes, I can't remember what it was.

Doug Rose

Quote from: stub1953 on February 13, 2011, 12:13:36 AM
Kidphone,
               Sorry Doug ,I got sidetracked.  Can you post a pic of your drawing ,unfolded ,on the base?   stub
Here you go....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

That looks like a 42Hz "frequency ringer" to my untrained eyes.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 13, 2011, 01:14:30 PM
That looks like a 42Hz "frequency ringer" to my untrained eyes.
What is a frequency ringer? What was its purpose, I know when I find them in a North the don't ring or ring very soft. What was its purpose? I'm a WE guy, a ringer is a ringer. ...Doug
Kidphone

Phonesrfun

The frequency ringers were used on party lines so that each party could be rung without having the others on the same line get the ring.  These ringers are highly selective and sensitive to only one particular ringing current frequency.  They will not work well, if at all on the current 20Hz systems of today.

Frequency selective ringing was used mostly by the independants, and generally not at all by the Bell System.  Ma Bell had other ways of selecting using a cold cathode tube.  Apparently, the only time Bell used frequency ringing is when they once in a while bought a local telephone company from an independant that was already set up for frequency ringing.

Several times the topic has come up as to how to modify a frequency ringer to work on today's 20-30Hz standard.  There really is not much one can do, due to the very different mechanical construction of the frequency ringer tuned reed vibration point.  Often, someone will chime in and say that they have gotten one to kind of work, but in my opinion, the effort used in getting one of these to barely respond to regular ringing current is an excersice in frustration.  Best to find what is called a straight-line ringer if you want it to ring.  

Straight line ringers are out there and available for the AE's, because AE used straight line ringers too.  They come up every once in a while on e-Bay, and some collectors may have one lying around their parts piles.  Due to the fact that so many want to convert the frequency ringers to straight line, however, these are getting harder to find.
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Doug, Oldphoneworks has them but they're kind of pricey.

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/automatic-electric-ringer-assembly.html

Maybe Adelle Vaverchak or Steve Hilsz might have one. 

Doug Rose

Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 13, 2011, 02:17:42 PM
The frequency ringers were used on party lines so that each party could be rung without having the others on the same line get the ring.  These ringers are highly selective and sensitive to only one particular ringing current frequency.  They will not work well, if at all on the current 20Hz systems of today.

Frequency selective ringing was used mostly by the independants, and generally not at all by the Bell System.  Ma Bell had other ways of selecting using a cold cathode tube.  Apparently, the only time Bell used frequency ringing is when they once in a while bought a local telephone company from an independant that was already set up for frequency ringing.

Several times the topic has come up as to how to modify a frequency ringer to work on today's 20-30Hz standard.  There really is not much one can do, due to the very different mechanical construction of the frequency ringer tuned reed vibration point.  Often, someone will chime in and say that they have gotten one to kind of work, but in my opinion, the effort used in getting one of these to barely respond to regular ringing current is an excersice in frustration.  Best to find what is called a straight-line ringer if you want it to ring.  

Straight line ringers are out there and available for the AE's, because AE used straight line ringers too.  They come up every once in a while on e-Bay, and some collectors may have one lying around their parts piles.  Due to the fact that so many want to convert the frequency ringers to straight line, however, these are getting harder to find.
thanks Bill....I appreciate the information, now I know....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 13, 2011, 02:23:58 PM
Doug, Oldphoneworks has them but they're kind of pricey.

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/automatic-electric-ringer-assembly.html

Maybe Adelle Vaverchak or Steve Hilsz might have one. 

thanks Dennis..I replaced the ringer and it rings fine, its the DT, I can't break. I appreciate your input. Something is fried and its above me. This will get parted out.....Doug
Kidphone