News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

565H Questions

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, May 23, 2015, 10:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Well, I knew the time would come when I would get into keysets, and that time finally came! ;D

I have three 1956 565Hs that were all converted to home use, and I would like to convert them back to keyset service. I was wondering if anyone has schematics for a 556H so that I can convert them for use on a KSU system.

I also need three light strips and a button mech for 565s, which were removed from these phones were converted to home use.

I can also post pictures of them if anyone wants. I'm always glad to do show-and-tell with my phones! :D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WesternElectricBen

That is a very ambitious project if the 25 pair cables have been removed, almost as ambitions as building a KSU. Although, there are different wiring diagrams for the phones on the TCI website.

Ben 

G-Man

Several documents in the TCI Library pertaining to the 565 series, including-

• 502-543-405-i1-Service-2565HK-Telephone-Sets
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/2891-502-543-405-i1-service-2565hk-telephone-sets-tl

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on May 23, 2015, 10:31:16 PM
That is a very ambitious project if the 25 pair cables have been removed, almost as ambitions as building a KSU. Although, there are different wiring diagrams for the phones on the TCI website.

Ben 
My dad says he has some leftover 25-pair cable (with amp-champ connectors). I do plan on doing a complete rewiring, along with some internal disassembly to clean everything up a bit, on each phone. It will be very, very tedious, but worth it to see these phones work again!

Everything inside was done very unproffessionally when it was reworked to home use; modern jumper wire without fork terminals, any new wiring laid out very haphazardly, huge components for 1A2 use removed without any reason. Fortunately, the parts that were removed are parts that aren't hard to find at all (to my understanding) and can be found on many 'parts' '80s key system phones.

I'll check the TCI website, see what I can find there!
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

I couldn't help myself! I had to post pictures of the current phone I'm working on!

As you can see, the outside is pretty much done. I just have to add a straight handset cord and a 25-cond line cord. I tried my hardest to find replacement parts dated around 1956 for the parts that didn't match. The dial is dated 10-54, and the ringer is dated 3-57. The dial was a '63 and the ringer wasn't even there!

The insides are far from perfect. Everything is layered in dust, the wiring is incorrect, and new wiring was added as a jumper between connections. It's going to be a pretty big project, but I want it to work and look (inside and out) like a classy business phone! :D Keep in mind that I chose to work on this one first because this is the easiest and least complicated of the three. The others are far worse!
Christian Petterson

podor

The line switches changed somewhat over time from the first generation 565 to the newer 565/2565. I'm not sure they will work. I'll pull a few of mine apart and snap some picks over the next few days. I love those old round button 565s.

Babybearjs

Christian, On sets like this, I always tap out "spare" terminals.  I went ahead and marked the terminals I would normally tap out.  this way, if you use them, they will accommodate multiple spade connections.  I also clean the terminal board so you can read the terminals later. it comes in very handy to have a 4-40 thread tap... on all sets, they use 4-40 screws. I have had to salvage numerous phones over the years and always pull the screws for later... on my sets I add extra screws for later... that way, If I need them... they are already installed... plus for anyone later on....    what do you think of that?
John