News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40, 47 & 50 Base Code Observations (2017!)

Started by RotoTech99, January 03, 2017, 12:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Ryan

I found some codes in one of the "Automatic Electric Handbooks"

These apply the the 41 model (L-41). 41 is followed by:

07  With Spotter dial for SATT-A
11  Multiline (AE 47) from catalogue data
17  Superimposed Ringing
19  Party line station for SATT-B
23  Standard Type 40

Followed by (from catalogue) the dial code:

A    Dunno
M   Number only dial
E    Numbers and letters
C    Dial blank
D    Dunno

Followed by the ringer code:

SL  Straight line
xx   Frequency code

Followed by Handset cord code:

T     Straight black
W    Extensicord black
Z     Coiled black
?     Others

There are other options for colour etc but I have to get back to work now.

Jack

Jack Ryan

Quote from: RotoTech99 on January 04, 2017, 10:37:31 PM
Dear Jack:

thanks for the clarification.. what about the codes 20. 22. 44, 46. and 74?

These codes followed either "40" or "41" on the sets on my list, what can you figure on those?

The 40 codes are different from the 41 codes so 40 23 is not necessarily the same as 41 23.

Jack

AE_Collector

That's great info Jack! What sort of handbooks are you finding this in?

With the dial codes the handbooks list A and D but no description, thus the "Dunno" comment?

There is the black numbers only plate with white (glow in the dark) numbers option as well.

Terry

Jack Ryan

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 05, 2017, 01:33:35 AM
That's great info Jack! What sort of handbooks are you finding this in?

I guess they are manuals for the field techs. There are green ones and black ones.

The book contains the bulletin shown plus sections for each version. They also include other phones and payphones but nothing older than the late AE 40.

[the images failed security checks]

Jack

RotoTech99

Dear Jack Ryan:

If you get an opportunity  to, can you scan and email me a copy of the handbook, if it isn't too large, please ?

If you post a copy to CRPF also, please let me know.

You can send me the handbook as an attachment to a email at eburnett1963@gmail.com.

I would be willing to mail reimbursement, if needed for your time and trouble

RotoTech99

RotoTech99

Dear Jack:

I also have some AE payphones for which the handbook we have been discussing would be useful in addition to the AE 40 information.

if you get an opportunity, can you email an attachment copy to eburnett1963@gmail.com, please?

I am sorry about the typo in giving you my email address earlier, my email is eburnett1963@gmail.com

Thank you, RotoTech99

Jack Ryan

The handbooks are already sitting in my "In Tray". I have even bookmarked parts that I could not find on line already that need to be scanned.

All I need is the time to do it. Once done, they will be posted.

Regards
Jack

RotoTech99

dear Jack:

Dear Jack:

Sounds great  :), I can wait for it to post.

I've already copied what you provided so far, it looks good.

I thought about if worse comes to worse, and no coding appears for the early AE 40's, maybe the 41 codes could be adapted; maybe not in the entirety, but as much as could be.

By the way, I got a chuckle out of the "Dunno" comment on the "A" and "D" dial types listings; that is definitely unique.

I wonder if they could have been for Non-AE dials... ISTR AE40's could be outfitted with other supplier's dials; I've seen at least one with a SC dial, myself.

Looking forward to seeing them,
RotoTech99

AE_Collector

I have a couple of those around here too so I will check and see if I can find similar info in them. Preferably "similar" but "different" info!

Others have these pocket manuals as well....Stub?

Terry

unbeldi

Quote from: Jack Ryan on January 04, 2017, 11:46:25 PM
I found some codes in one of the "Automatic Electric Handbooks"

These apply the the 41 model (L-41). 41 is followed by:

07  With Spotter dial for SATT-A
11  Multiline (AE 47) from catalogue data
17  Superimposed Ringing
19  Party line station for SATT-B
23  Standard Type 40

This confirms that these are not feature codes but simply catalog numbers, the last two digits should never be separated from the 40 or 41, they should be quoted in full four digits. This is very similar to the catalog numbers for the AE34, where they had the form L–25x ...

RotoTech99

Dear Unbeldi:

Jack says he's working on getting the handbooks posted, so while I'm waiting, I'll read over the codes he posted already.

The only ones I thought was a little out of the ordinary was the "A" and "D" on the dial options where he commented "dunno" because "A" and "D" didn't apparently have a dial description.

I think Jack is on the right track, so I'm waiting to see what he turns up.

unbeldi

Quote from: RotoTech99 on January 05, 2017, 04:38:30 PM
Dear Unbeldi:

Jack says he's working on getting the handbooks posted, so while I'm waiting, I'll read over the codes he posted already.

The only ones I thought was a little out of the ordinary was the "A" and "D" on the dial options where he commented "dunno" because "A" and "D" didn't apparently have a dial description.

I think Jack is on the right track, so I'm waiting to see what he turns up.

Well, I am quite certain that the 40xx and 41xx numbers are not listed as feature codes.   For example, another AE catalog explicitly list the AE47 as having ordering number L–4111.

The codes following the catalog/order numbers are of course feature codes, there has never been a dispute about that, only the proper decoding has been uncertain.

stub

Terry,
          I don't have any of the pocket handbooks but would love to see them posted for all of us to share !  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Jack Ryan

I wouldn't sit too close to the edge of your chairs.

I have a big intray, a full time job, I edit two journals and have a family.

At the moment I am testing software for an industrial analyser that will soon be shipped out of the country.

So, like many of you, there is a lot of competition for my time. I'll get to it when I can but if I spot further code information, I'll post it.

While you are looking for handbooks, there was one used by MTS that looks really good - anyone have it?

Regards
Jack

RotoTech99

I'm not aware of the MTS one myself, but I wouldn't mind seeing it while I am waiting.