News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Can I convert an LPB-8610 to touch-tone with this?

Started by Fushigi Ojisan, June 14, 2018, 07:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fushigi Ojisan

I have an AE LPB 8610 restored by the Chicago Old Telephone Company about 25-30 years ago.

Was searching on eBay and found this, an AE touch-tone head unit

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-slot-payphone-payphone-touchstone-Antique-pay-phone/202335510849

My question is, could I just swap head units and have the thing work?  or is there more involved?

Thanks
Fushigi Ojisan
Otaku with interesting hobbies

Key2871

It's been a while since I've had an AE LPB can't recall the model I think a 1035, but as long as it has a DB connector on the one you have now, I would think so, but you may have to move a few wires. Do you have schematics?
KEN

AE_Collector

Has your LPB model been converted to a connector cord/plug? I think only LPCs came with onnectors but older versions may have been converted.

This is an "Upper Housing". (Correct terminology)

Also, please include a picture in your posts rather than just links.

And finally :) ...you want a Touch Tone upper, not a TOUCHSTONE upper as this is listed as!! Being an AE it should be a Touch CALL upper in any event,

Terry

Key2871

Ah yes, lPC, that what the letters were on my set.
But yes the connector, not the "Fingers" is what would be needed.
I'm no expert on AE's, I had a manual with all the sets, at one time. But that was a while ago.
KEN

rdelius

I might have built that set while I worked at COT. Most were assembled as LPB -82 set.s I tried to get the right series tags on them but it did not always happen.If there are transfor contacts connected to a black terminal block than this upper housing would need to have contacts added.Warning AE touch pads ,even NOS most likely will bad or go bad

Fushigi Ojisan

Here are pics of the insides, my guess is that the touch-tone top won't work

I'm guessing its a collection of parts that is impossible to date now

rdelius, can you tell me anything based on what you see?

Fushigi Ojisan

HarrySmith

Quote from: rdelius on June 14, 2018, 10:42:19 PM
I might have built that set while I worked at COT. Most were assembled as LPB -82 set.s I tried to get the right series tags on them but it did not always happen.If there are transfor contacts connected to a black terminal block than this upper housing would need to have contacts added.Warning AE touch pads ,even NOS most likely will bad or go bad

Robbie, did you use Chang Cheng ringers?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Yea, that tone upper will not work, unless you do some changes. That's an ITT or stromberg  network, and the fingers won't work because the upper has a D connector, and will require the mating socket.
That ringer definitely not original. The chute is post pay for sure.
I think maybe a rotary/ tone converter might be the way to go. Given the dial pad may not work to start with.
Just my dimes worth.
KEN

Fushigi Ojisan

It was just one of those ideas I thought would be interesting.

This has been my basement phone for 20+ years, other than some buzzy static on calls (my end only) its done okay by me.   Appreciate that it has a ringer even if its not original.  Thenagain, I don't think there is much original on this one.   

Now I'm starting to regret not picking up that other AE at the Lancaster show for $100
Fushigi Ojisan

rdelius

We used those ching ching ringers but I wired all to AE standards so the next guy would not have to figure out the wiring. We got some already wired from PT supply -this would not be one. Most llikely Wingate Bracch a Sanford collector that worked for Heins telephone.We bought what was left of his collection after he died.He took home what was unwanted at
heins telephone. Had no space so most of it went to the dump

Fushigi Ojisan

So, uhm, what do I have then?   Frankenphone?    Do I need to post more pics?
Fushigi Ojisan

rdelius

The network might make it a franken phone to some It would not be hard to put original wiring harness back in The only non AE parts on your set are the ringer and the network Many payetations on ebay are mixed AE WE NE parts or even replaca housings and dummy locks. Most old telephones and paystations got serviced or rebuilt so they are not virgin sets I would not worry about this

Fushigi Ojisan

Okay, its been working for 20 years with few issues...

except one

When I talk, I can hear crunchy/staticy sound the other person cannot.  Its not enough to miss conversations, but its enough to be there and be annoying.  Any suggestions?
Fushigi Ojisan

Key2871

I recently had that very same problem with my single slot. Found a bum transmitter. All it took to stop it was to gently bang the end of the handset on a hard surface a few time, problem solved.
But yours may be a loose wire, or a bad wire. I would try a different handset to eliminate that end of it. If the problem goes away, you just narrowed it down greatly.
KEN

Fushigi Ojisan

It does go away with some gentle handset banging, other times it just stops on its own for a while.

I was told it might be a good idea to unscrew the covers on the handset and tug up on the fingers so they have a more solid connection.   
Fushigi Ojisan