News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 233G Put Back To Orginal

Started by Logan1, April 19, 2014, 04:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

OK, BK was another typo,  It should be B, and so it looks like your orange wire that goes from B in the subset to T on the upper terminal strip is done correctly.  I don't understand the yellow wire you have going from hookswitch R to hookswitch BBX.  Remove that ans see if that fixes your problem

Keep me posted.
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

It also looks like the red and black wires connected to L1 and L2 in the subset photo might be touching, or if not, they are pretty close.  That would put a dead short on the line and also cause your problem.

-Bill G

Phonesrfun

Also, the wires going to terminal 1 on the terminal strip (you said it is not marked, but it should be #1) is ok.  It is another way of connecting the ringer.  I cannot see in the photo exactly what other wire is connected at L2, but if it is stock, you should be good.
You happened to catch me on my lunch hour and I saw your questions.  I will chec back in later this afternoon.
-Bill G

Logan1

I moved the black wire it is ok now. the yellow wire runs from R to SL and if I take it off I loose dial tone. Every thing seems to work, just have low dial tone and hereing people on the receiver sound low.  (Hard to here.) Took the hereing thing out of receiver and rapped it a few times on the table.
Worked at Western Electric in Plymouth Mich

Phonesrfun

I can study this more tonight after work and my grandson's ball game.
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

Is your yellow wire on BBX touching the R terminal?
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

I just checked the diagram.  I cannot see why that yellow jumper wire would be needed at all.  Having it between BBX and SL effectively puts the receiver directly across the line and probably disables dialing.  I think it is coincidental that having it there gives you dial tone.  I think the dial tone is coming through the wrong path.
-Bill G

Logan1

BBX and R are not touching,     If I take the yellow wire off the SL and BBX I lose the dial tone.  The person on the other end can here me and talk to me ok, but on my end the sound and dial tone is very weak like I can not here them very much..

Phonesrfun

The yellow wire is not needed, in fact it is causing the problem of not being able to hear.  If you do not get dial tone without it connected, then you have some other issue going on.   I did wonder if you are trying to use the phone without attaching the upper cover.  If that is the case, know that the upper housing absolutely has to be in place for the phone to work.

Let me know,

-Bill
-Bill G

Logan1

That is the way I got it with the yellow wire on it, And if  I take it off I lose dial tone, I have been trying with and with out upper housing and no change my dial wires are  top to bottom W to W       Y to Y      G to BB       B to B      R TO BKX.   That is all the wire that are hooked up in the to housing.  Thanks

Phonesrfun

We need to look at the upper housing.  Do you have pics?
-Bill G

Logan1

Pictures, Do I need the cap.

Phonesrfun

I have to run to the store.  Will be back in an hour. 
-Bill G

Logan1

It is bed time here in Michigan I will get back with you tomorrow., Give every body time to think tonight. The black and red wires I have switched back and forth , Did not make any difference in the dial tone.  Thanks

Phonesrfun

First of all, in the upper housing, the two brown wires that would normally pass the coin chute gong signals have been cut and are not connected.  That would normally have prevented you from getting dial tone, except someone who had the phone before you switched the red and black wires on the transfer contacts, which, believe it or not will make the phone work in spite of the fact that the coin chute sound is disconnected.  Therefore, leave the red and black wires reversed for now.  Red on BKX and Black on R.

Second, with the coin chute sound disconnected, the capacitor with the green leads serves no purpose and can be left in or not.  Your choice.

Third,  I have gone over and over your pictures and I have simulated your issue with my own phone.  That yellow wire.  Whether it was there when you got the phone or not, it does not belong there and is essentially shorting out the receiver while also giving you a faint dial tone, and allowing people to still hear you, even with the upper housing off.

Please try this:  Remove the yellow wire that goes between BBX and SL.  Leave nothing connected to SL.  Then put the upper housing back on and try it out.

If that does not work, the issue has to be one of the parts malfunctioning.  I really do not think it is a defective receiver, but that can be tested really easy.

-Bill G