News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 3-Slot 10 Button Payphone Help

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, October 04, 2014, 04:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

At the end of September, I brought two Western Electric 10 button payphone upper housings for $17.50 each at a flea market. Since I'm planning on getting them both restored, I have a few questions. First of all, would a regular rotary 233G lower housing fit on this phone? I know AE and WE housings are compatible with each other, just making sure that the touch tone and rotary models are compatible with each other.

Second, the coin return button one one of the housings doesn't work properly, it pushes the internal mechanisms outward whenever it moves. How would I fix that (I'm assuming that the problem is a couple of missing screws for the mech)?

Does anyone know where I can buy WE 3 slot bottom housings (basically everything that I don't have here)?

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WesternElectricBen

Christian,

When you are looking for a body for these, make sure that the body has the female connector to what you have. Because, before the connector in your phone, there were metal contacts that made the connection.

Ben

Fabius

Did the seller explain why he only had the upper housings or where they came from?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Fabius on October 04, 2014, 09:54:29 PM
Did the seller explain why he only had the upper housings or where they came from?

No, he didn't mention anything like that. I assume he rescued them from some "re-purposer" that converted them to lamps, and drilled a hole in each top (see pictures) and the seller must have de-lamped them.

-------------------

EDIT: fixed quote code
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

RotarDad

Christian - The return button issue is caused by a missing spring "keeper" that allows the coin track to pivot.  There are two, one on each side, near the top.  You can see that one housing is missing one near the red ink p/n date stamp on the coin track.  These remove by pushing down slightly to reduce spring tension, then rotating 90 degrees.  You could prove this is your only issue by swapping one from the other housing.  Finding one (two parts including the spring) might be a challenge, but someone here probably can help you out... 

Update - You are also missing a small bracket which mounts to the housing just below the missing keeper.  I can't remember what this part does - releases single nickel when return button pushed?
Paul