"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How is this even possible? Very reasonably priced yellow WE 500

Started by Butch Harlow, March 24, 2018, 08:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butch Harlow

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 27, 2018, 11:47:24 AM
It was a very advanced 3D Printed AE 40.

Terry

;D I rattled it around in my head how a phone could be media mail. I got nothing.
Butch Harlow

AE_Collector

Partyline4

Yes, there's lots of cute tricks to get stuff delivered for low cost.  I used to work for the USPS as a mail man, and I used to see 40lb packages with a shipping label stating it was 2lbs. I never said anything, as there was too much volume to deal with.

Media mail is the same gag - you can ship things for next to nothing if you're feeling slick enough. Be careful, though, as Media mail is the only type of package the clerk at the counter is allowed to rip open right infront of you to see if you're telling the truth!

The same scams happen with all shippers, it works especially well if you can print your own labels, and flag down a mailman somewhere and ask him to take your packages.

Be careful

Doug Rose

Screenshot said it was sent USPS Medium Priority Flat box. but as Stub said.....who paid for it....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

If you told the post Office it was Phone related materials, they could assume you meant PHONEBOOKS. Or the obvious, tell them it's books.
Media mail also includes films.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Nick in Manitou

Earlier in this thread there was mention of "C Stock".

I searched the forum and found several references to C-Stock but I don't understand the definition of the term.

In this thread there was discussion of recycled plastic with "C" molded into the plastic.

I have a couple 2554s that I was looking into the other day and both have C and what I assume to the year molded into them.

I have attached a photo of one of the marks. What does this mark tell me?

I am not trying to hijack the thread, but the other references I could find to "C Stock" didn't seem to refer to the molded plastic cases.

Thanks,
Nick

twocvbloke

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on March 28, 2018, 07:40:24 PMWhat does this mark tell me?

Well, to me, it would say C-stock recycled plastic, cast in 1978, and that's all I can glean from it... ???

AE_Collector

But by "recycled plastic" I don't think they mean melted down, turned back to plastic pellets and then used to make new cases. If so, there wouldn't be anything different with them from brand new cases and in this era plastic just wasn't worth the effort to reuse as compared to using new plastic. The C is molded into the plastic along with the year on this one. Did they never indicate a month or a 14 day period of time with letters like AE did?

Terry

Jim Stettler

On cast "C" stock the  "C" is separate and large (over 3/8") on the inner housing and also on the handset. 

There is an article written about the use of "C" plastic. It is in a Bell publication. I originally found it on the internet archive. I think it was in Bell system technical journal, Probably early 1970's?

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.