News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

295 Subset

Started by wds, April 10, 2012, 11:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

The Western Electric 295 subset is quickly becoming my favorite ringer box.  External ringer, and nice wood boxes.  Here's a couple I've refinished.  The first one is oak, and has the patent dates and name engraved in the front and sides of the box.  The second one turned out to be walnut.  I'll be sending the brass parts to Dennis to be plated on the Walnut box.  

The oak box has one condenser that services the ringer and the receiver.  The walnut box was fitted with 2 condensers, the large 2 mf is for the receiver, the smaller aluminum one is for the ringer, and it's marked 149B .5mf IV 38.  I believe the box is now anti sidetone.  

Some before and after pictures.
Dave

wds

walnut
Dave

Doug Rose

Beautiful Dave.....I like contestant #2 with the Brass, but both are stunning....Doug
Kidphone

HowardPgh

Nice ringerboxes.  I wonder what the extra little coil is for in the oak box?
Howard

wds

I have no idea.  It's wired between the ringer and L1 and it's not on the wiring diagram.  Box is labeled 295 AX.  I was hoping someone knew what the coil was for.  This is a very early ringer box, so maybe it's used to boost the a/c ringing current?
Dave

Phonesrfun

It might be a retardation coil for use in local battery talk, common battery signaling applications.
-Bill G

Jester

Your walnut box is a real curiosity to me.  It appears both boxes have been repainted, but this one has apparently been reconfigured as well as refurbished.  What puzzles me is that the ringer & condenser appear to be replacements, the original schematic is crossed through & the original model no. is blanked out.  All of this fits with this set being updated to an anti-sidetone 495.  But, all the 495's I've seen also have the original induction coil replaced with the 101A--this one has the original sidetone coil.  Is there an alternate model no. stamped anywhere on this set?  It would most likely be in vermillion, and could be just about anywhere.  It might even have been on the black paint removed from the outside.
Stephen

wds

It was a 295 U, then the U crossed out and replaced with an A.  Changes are as follows:  The L1, L2  etc was on the left side, and was moved to the right side.  The left is now K GN R, and the right side is L1 L2 (Y) C.  The coil and condenser are original, except for the addition of the second .5 mf condenser.  The ringer seems to be updated as well which explains the .5 mf condenser. 

The diagram on the lid partially matches the current layout and terminals.  I can feel another label underneath this one - I think the label was changed on the first upgrade, then X'd out on the second upgrade, with the second upgrade converting the box to an anti sidetone.   
Dave