News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE ???

Started by stub, June 03, 2011, 03:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

Can anyone identify this AE phone and tell me how it was used?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.
                                                                                                                                             stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

paul-f

It's a single line set with exclusion -- similar to the Western 502.

You can read about the exclusion feature in a 2-line set here:
  http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=3868&Itemid=2
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

Wasn't there a discussion on here awhile back about the various different options on AE 81 sets? Maybe the discussion was on the TCI list, not here.

Seems to me that there was at least 3 or maybe 4 various options available on AE 81 sets. Some would have a single cradle area button and some had two like Harry's does.

Options probably include Exclusion, Buzzer or Ground Start button, cradle lock for checking a party line before going off hook etc.

We virtually didn't use the AE 81 or AE 85 sets here in British COlumbia so I am not very familiar with them. The only AE 81 that I have has a single chrome button and it appears to be a cradle lock as everytime you go off hook the button can be pushed and it looks as though it releases the plungers the rest of the way. I haven't checked inside to confirm this though.

Terry

stub

Terry-  Thanks

paul-f - Thanks , The paper helps on one problem and created another. This phone appears to be a AE 85 B ,non-dial . The problem that was created now is my AE 81( I thought ) appears to be some type of 85. What is the black box that my screwdriver is pointing at ?  More help needed!!!!!!!!!!  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Never seen that black box before. Aren't there any codes ink stamped onto the baseplate of the phone? Maybe under the sticker? The sticker probably just means Extension 585.

Terry

HarrySmith

Interesting. The black box looks to be a more recent addition, what is it wired to? I can't tell from the angle of the picture.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

that box might be a transformer and the set might have been used as a phone patch to connect to a radio circuit
Robby

Adam

Possible, but that's got a lot of contacts to be a transformer.  I think it is a relay, and it is wired to control something in conjunction with the exclusion switch.

Here's a wild guess:  Is the handset wired to it in any way?  If so, it could have something to do with 2 wire/4 wire service.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

rdelius

I still think it is a transformer with dual split primary and secondary windings to change the impedance
See if there is a blocking capacator on one side or see if is across the rec or tx .
Robby

stub

Thanks all,
                Here's what I have - network - WA1154A
                                               pic of black box and  terminal strip B               stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

I still don't have a clue as to what this black box is or does. Open to suggestions.       stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

HarrySmith

Pulsecom is owned by Hubbell and they make broadband DSL stuff. Possibly this is a pulse to tone converter?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

MDK

Hubbell used to make a bunch of PBX stuff, perhaps it's somehow related.

stub

Thanks to all ! I guess that makes this AE phone a 85 B.     stub
Kenneth Stubblefield