News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Parts Storage

Started by wds, May 19, 2012, 03:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I was just wondering how everyone stored their spare parts and pieces.  Larger parts I put in old Priority Mail boxes, labeled by manufacturer.  The smaller screws, nuts and bolts, and the bakelite mouthpieces I store in plastic containers I tracked down from Grainger.  The plastic box with the mouthpieces are deeper than the mouthpiece, so I put a layer of foam on the bottom so when I close the lid, the mouthpieces are snug and don't rattle around in the container.  The part numbers for those boxes are 3JJE7 & 2W781.  Always looking for a better way to store parts.
Dave

DavePEI

Hi Dave:

I do basically the same thing... On larger items, I use kitchen containers with closing lids. I also put a pack of silica gel dessicant in each box to keep moisture from building up.

Old photo, but it shows some of the storage in the workshop in the museum. This room also doubles as the museum VOIP, C*NET and office room. Storage under the counters in totes, also.

My current project on the bench, the demo switch made with the ATM 1950 Summerside, PEI switches.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

paul-f

My work area is not as tidy as the Daves' areas.

Photo 1 - The work area is in an unfinished room behind a partition in the basement.  I used a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood for the bottom half of the wall so I could easily hang some PBXs, a KSU and a few wall phones.  There are shelves between the studs above that to hold jars of parts - taking advantage of what would normally be wasted space.  The dark grey bins on the bottom shelf were found at a yard sale for a dime each.

Photo 2 - Metal card files that were designed for 3 x 5 or 4 x 6 cards make a great place to store dials, connectors and number card holders -- or any other small parts. These were found at yard sales for about 50 cents to 2 dollars each.

Photo 3 - My favorite find was this metal storage cabinet, found on freecycle.org.  A local electronics company used it for years to store small components like resistors, capacitors and ICs.  Its 6 drawers each have two halves.  A lot of stuff can be crammed into a relatively small space under the workbench.  When a drawer is open, either half can be lifted a bit and pulled out so you can reach to the very back of the drawer.  You can also lift it out and carry it to a work table.  How many recognize its original purpose?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

gpo706

You guys are so organised!

All my bits are in cardboard boxes or flimsy plastic toolboxes!
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

twocvbloke

Quote from: gpo706 on May 20, 2012, 01:48:01 PM
All my bits are in cardboard boxes or flimsy plastic toolboxes!

Same here....... :D

And not just phones either.... :D

wds

I like the idea of the card filing cabinet.  Those are easy to find at the surplus stores. 
Dave

Vern P

I use egg cartons to hold the mouth pices.

For most of my other stuff. I use some boxe that had meat in them. That are 18 W 12 T and 24" L.  My storage shelf's are 8' L 8' T and 24" deep. Made of 2X4 and 1/2" ply. Spaced 30" apart. 
Shelf are on 16"center. Yes they hold a lot of weight too.  As I stand on them when looking for stuff. 

Your guy places are TOO clean !!  Want to see a mess ?? Take a look at my place. I forget were it is, so do a search for Vern's place.  At times I need to just look for Vern, and go from there.

Vern P

Dave F

Quote from: paul-f on May 19, 2012, 10:59:35 PM
<snip> ....Photo 3 - ....  How many recognize its original purpose?

Looks like a card catalog cabinet from a library.

DF

DavePEI

I have updated the photos I posted above to show the museum's office/workshop as it is now. The original photos were of the room shortly after it was renovated. More shelving, parts, tools, etc. have been added in the past 12 months. Click on photos to see them full size.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

paul-f

Quote from: Dave F on May 20, 2012, 10:03:33 PMLooks like a card catalog cabinet from a library.

Close, Dave.

I guess ten years is long enough to wait for the answer. ;)

The cabinet was built to hold thousands of 80-column computer punch cards. When each drawer is pulled out, it can be easily removed from the frame, so it could be carried to the input station -- hopefully without dropping and rearranging the cards.

It's great to be able to take a drawer over to the workbench.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

FABphones

Great to see these old threads bumped. And some very enviable spares tucked away too.

Phones awaiting attention sit on shelves in my little workshop. Parts are stored in various sized plastic tray bins which were ex toy storage. Handy at first, but these days I find myself rooting through the same bins over and over on an almost daily basis never able to find what I found the day before (but didn't need then).

Every part is bubble wrapped so additionally I can't see exactly what it is until I unwrap it, and because the storage bins have no stacking capability they all have to sit side-by-side which takes up space. Whatever I'm looking for seems to be the last item I unwrap. Or I can't find it.

So. In order to help alleviate this (I hope) I have purchased some ex British Telecom Linn Bins. Tatty old things, much used, which came from BT stores/vans but are stackable. Label area to front to mark contents. Dials, handsets and everything else will finally (I hope) have its own space, labelled.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble