News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

'49er 500 just listed BIN $1500 - Gone in a NY minute!!!

Started by RotarDad, April 02, 2016, 11:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotarDad

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162026842102

I believe all original except line cord too....    A bit of a story on this one.  I saw it just as it listed with a start price of $14.99 and no BIN. I clicked on it to take a closer look and Ebay said the auction was ended due to an error.  OK, someone either tipped the seller or offered him a price to end the auction.  Not knowing for sure I kept clicking on that seller's items to see if it came back up.  If it was relisted at something like $500, I was planning to hit the BIN myself.  It did pop back up maybe 10 minutes later with $1500 BIN and a Make Offer.  I thought about it for a couple minutes, and then remembered that Dan (D/P) was hunting a 49er.  It was richly priced, but still I thought I would quickly IM him.   However, I think the "special buyer" was ready to pounce at their agreed $1500, and I believe it was gone before I even typed the first letter in my note to Dan.

They are out there.....  Even a sighting is pretty exciting, even if neither Dan nor I had a shot at it....  unless of course, D/P was the "special buyer"....  Dan???
Paul

poplar1

It did sell for less than $1500:

Bell systems western electric model 500 11-49 black

$1,500.00
    Best offer accepted
    +$13.45 shipping   
    View similar active items
    Sell one like this

Apr-02 19:42
    Seller: hollisterlaser(405) 100%
    Item: 162026842102

Item image

$14.99
    0 bids
    +$13.45 shipping   
    Sell one like this
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

paul-f

It is great to see the photos, Paul. I hope your blood pressure is gradually returning to normal after watching the episode unfold.

The photos show the November 49 phones are apparently identical to the early 1950 sets we have seen - except, of course, for the dates. We still need to find earlier 1949 sets to see when they changed from the bottom marking style used on the July 1949 set in the Seattle museum.

I believe Dan is really looking for an October phone, but I'm sure either he or I would have been glad to be the lucky buyer.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

paul-f

Quote from: poplar1 on April 02, 2016, 11:32:22 PM
It did sell for less than $1500:

$1,500.00
    Best offer accepted
    +$13.45 shipping   
    Sell one like this

Apr-02 19:42
    Seller: hollisterlaser(405) 100%
    Item: 162026842102

Item image

$14.99
    0 bids
    +$13.45 shipping   
    Sell one like this

Hmmm... This is what I see...

RotarDad

Paul - Yes, I think I've recovered......   I actually debated on the $1500...... probably well worth it, and I could have sold it for more.  But, $1500 on a phone wouldn't square with my sensibilities, (or my wife).   I don't think I had time to bid anyway, with the way this one went down, but at least I had the thrill of considering it.......
Paul

paul-f

I agree with you on the price. January 1950 500s seem to be virtually identical. Is the magic 1949 date really worth that much more?

How do others feel? Is $1500 reasonable, too high or too low?

RotarDad

Paul - There was a 10/49 that sold maybe a year back that went pretty high as an auction, but I can't remember exactly - was it $1200?  That one had a correct base, net, eq, & ringer, but the rest (including dial bezel) was much later if I remember correctly....   Others like Poplar1 will have the history to report back....
Paul

JimH

I think the 1949 date is what makes it so valuable, not to mention the dial bezel.  They so rarely come up for sale.  When you think about how many people would actually pay $1500 for one of these, it probably was a reasonable price.  Just my two pennies.
Jim H.

paul-f

Quote from: RotarDad on April 02, 2016, 11:59:33 PM
Paul - There was a 10/49 that sold maybe a year back that went pretty high as an auction, but I can't remember exactly - was it $1200?  That one had a correct base, net, eq, & ringer, but the rest (including dial bezel) was much later if I remember correctly....   Others like Poplar1 will have the history to report back....

I remember that one.  It sold in October 2014 for $919.

5-59 ringer
8-49 network - 425A
10-10-49 equalizer
10-49 stamped on bottom

2-52 7A dial
8-18-57 housing

Greg G.

Quote from: RotarDad on April 02, 2016, 11:09:58 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162026842102

They are out there.....  Even a sighting is pretty exciting, ...

And best of all, the pictures aren't all fuzzy like pictures of Sasquatches! 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

TelePlay

Quote from: Brinybay on April 03, 2016, 12:38:32 AM
And best of all, the pictures aren't all fuzzy like pictures of Sasquatches!

Thanks to the clear pictures, did anyone else notice this, or am I seeing something that is not there? Seems like damage to the shell to the right of the WE emblem. Seller says dusty and dirty but states no damage. Maybe it's just dirt lit up just right. Just saying.

Southernphoneman

Someone here was talking about the dates  and weather they changes from early 1949 to the later half when this 500 was built, and i have to say that the subject 500 in this thread looks to be identical to my 500 from 12/50, if anyone wants comparison photos i will post them, and the dial bezel would be the only difference so i stand to correct myself on that.

paul-f

There are comparison photos of Dan's '48, the Seattle museum's set marked July '49 with a 9-49 network, and a production '50 set here, following several discussions in other topics a few years ago...

http://www.paul-f.com/we500_Early.html

podor

The question is, did the seller shoot himself in the foot? I would imagine that phone could have brought more than $1500. If there were 2 or more dedicated collectors with some cash bidding against each other, you could be looking at some major $$$. I don't have much of a budget for my collection, but there's a good chance I might have jumped in.