News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell / Western Electric - "Mod 1 Picturephone"

Started by MagicMo, November 18, 2012, 02:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 30, 2013, 04:30:45 PMI will probably be home watching "Downton Abbey" when the auction ends.

Nothing else on to watch I guess? :D

Doug Rose

Watchers are a potential bidder who put it on their watch list. As of 5:12AM you had 108 watchers. This is a very high number. If I have 20 watchers on an item I am selling, I know I'll do well. A lot of watchers are like me, knowing I cannot buy it but not wanting to loose the auction when it ends. This is so cool!! Off to work.....Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

QuoteNothing else on to watch I guess?

My favorite American football team, the New England Patriots, lost to the Baltimore Ravens the week before last, eliminating them from the Superbowl.  I'm still bitter, since I was never very fond of the Ravens prior to this horrific turn of events.  Out of spite I am not going to watch the game: I'll let my wife watch her Downton Abbey.  It is her birthday after all.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

twocvbloke

I don't get competition sports myself, especially american football where they kick the ball and then stand around for ages waiting for orders as to what to do next, I just can't see the excitement in it... :D

They're even showing the superbowl over here on the BBC, it's a good job I watch very little TV these days, I can't stand a lot of the current stuff... :D

G-Man

Looks as if there a bidding war is beginning to take shape between the TCI and ATCA boys.

In the past hour bidding has risen to just shy of $10,500.

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 31, 2013, 12:28:18 PM
I don't get competition sports myself, especially american football where they kick the ball and then stand around for ages waiting for orders as to what to do next, I just can't see the excitement in it... :D

They're even showing the superbowl over here on the BBC, it's a good job I watch very little TV these days, I can't stand a lot of the current stuff... :D
This is even better than the Superbowl! :)
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Russ Kirk

Here is more nfo on the picturephone.

1964 - Limited commercial Picturephone service between
public locations in three cities-New
York, Chicago, and Washington, D. C.-began on June
.25. The service was inaugurated with a call from Mrs.
Lyndon B. Johnson in Washington to Bell Laboratories
scientist Dr. Elizabeth A. Wood, at the Picturephone
center in Grand Central Terminal, New York. Robert
F. Wagner, then mayor of New York

From page 29 of the attached document.

Maureen,

Did your Dad work or live in any of these locations?

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Sargeguy

QuoteThey're even showing the Superbowl over here on the BBC, it's a good job I watch very little TV these days, I can't stand a lot of the current stuff... Cheesy

American football is like English football only it's exciting
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

MagicMo

Hey,
They did a "remarkable listing" story on my Auction. See the link below.
Mo

http://ebay-stories.com/category/remarkable-listing
Practice Kindness :)

DavePEI

Quote from: MagicMo on January 31, 2013, 08:02:08 PM
Hey,
Mo

Wow! Well written, too! I wonder if you can put a link to it from your auction?

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Greg G.

Quote from: MagicMo on January 31, 2013, 08:02:08 PM
Hey,
Mo

Nice article!  Didn't someone mention there would be a write-up in Singing Wires too?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

erik666

very cool i wasnt aware of this thread can a mod delete my auction post please? and good luck on the auction

Greg G.

I wonder what happened to the other Picture Phones mentioned in a response to the ebay article.

QuoteResponses to Imitate "The Jetsons" with a retro video phone
Bill says:
January 31, 2013 at 4:52 am
Hi
I am a former Chicagoian and when I was a teenager I talked on this phone at the Prudential Building a number of times. I also talked on the ones at the Museum of Science and Industry. If my memory serves the other end was at Disneyland,at Tomorrow Land, in California.
Thanks for the short walk down memory lane
Bill P
Southsider for life
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

This is on pace to beat the Williams Bell subset from a couple years ago that the guy pulled out of the scrap pile and sold for $22 grand.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409