News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Milk Bottle Lantern

Started by Fabius, April 03, 2017, 10:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

Picked this up on eBay recently. Pyro pint milk bottle from the HERBERT S. MOON AND SON Dairy - CATSKILL, N.Y.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

AL_as_needed

Just out of  curiosity; where did that ship from? Being  Catskill NY is almost within the Hudson Valley, Im always curious as to how far local items travel before the resurface...
TWinbrook7

Fabius

The seller is a milk bottle collector in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Bottle collecting is very popular. I will buy old bottles from my town (La Porte, Indiana) and milk bottles with interesting pyro graphics.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

AL_as_needed

Well thats quite the distance!

I do not in any way claim to be a bottle collector per say, but working in construction/excavation we find all sorts of goodies, especially under houses and edges of properties. I tend to keep the older and more unique pieces. Its amazing what people would (and still do) just toss in the bushes.
TWinbrook7

Fabius

Quote from: AL_as_needed on April 05, 2017, 10:47:26 AM
Well thats quite the distance!
working in construction/excavation we find all sorts of goodies, especially under houses and edges of properties. Its amazing what people would (and still do) just toss in the bushes.

Then you might enjoy reading about bottle collectors who dig in old privys (outhouses). People use to throw the garbage down them. The collectors also track down old garbage dumps and dig for bottles.

http://tinyurl.com/knxb8mr
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

AL_as_needed

I have been told by a friend who goes metal detecting from time to time that outhouses tend to hold some great treasures, especially coins as it was a one way trip once dropped accidentally.

We worked at a house last year that was built on an old landfill, the landfill was likely active during the turn of the century up through the 30s based on what we found. while digging for underground electric lines, our machine literally pulled up every manner of items; glass, bicycle parts, a stove, bricks etc.
TWinbrook7