News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NEW OLD STOCK Dietz Monarch Lanterns

Started by Doug Rose, December 01, 2012, 07:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

A few weeks ago Jan and I went to our last flea market of the year  :'(  but we did find a few nice things. Under a table my eyes caught this beautiful blue color peeking out of a bag, TWO never used Dietz Monarch lanterns. Dirty, but perfect. Not even displayed on his table! Paint and glass are perfect and the wicks were never used. They are heavy and old, not the repros made in China.

Anyone collect these or have any information on them?

Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

This link will take you to Kirkman's site which has a lot of links about the types and history of Dietz lanterns in the left screen panel. Also has replacement globes, wicks and parts.

http://tinyurl.com/d4tu4pt

This blue lantern would have been made after WW-II. Prior to the war, the lanterns were tin plated and not painted. The war needed tin so they went to a terne plating which was not as rust resistant so it needed to be painted. During the war, they used grey paint. In 1949 they changed to the metallic blue.

Years later, production of all lanterns went to China. When they did, they no longer stamped production factory, patent codes and date of manufacture in one of the air tubes (to the right of the top the globe).

By coincidence, I just bought another Dietz #2 at an antique mall for $10. It's in good shape but is oxidized and needs a globe and wick, which I already have. It's soaking in a bath of molasses right now - the Kirkman advised way to clean these lanterns.

What you have there is a hot blast lantern. You can buy clear lamp oil (Lamplight Farms Medallion or their trade marked TIKI oil) at Menard's if you want to use these indoors. Kerosene works fine but only for outdoor use.

Anyway, everything and anything you want to know about Dietz cold blast and hot blast lanterns are at that link.

TelePlay

Just put my new lantern through it first molasses bath (24 hours in 5 gallons of water and one jar of Grandma's Molasses)

Based on the numbers, I have a Dietz #2 DeLite lantern manufactured at it first plant located in New York City on May of 1928. They stopped production of these at that plant in 1931.

It's back in the molasses bath after it's first cleaning. Will do that until all oxidation is gone.

Here's a picture of as purchased and what it looks like after a first cleaning. Also pictured are the patent dates and the manufacture date stamped into one of the air bent tubes. The bottom stamping shows M-7-28 indicating the NYC main plant Number 1 and the July 1928 manufacture date. The globe and wick are going to cost me about $20 and the lantern, if I sold it, would go for somewhere between $70 and $100 in restored condition.

I think my lanternitis is driven by collecting those lanterns made with tin and tin plating which dates them prior to WW-II.

The patent dates stamped above the manufacturing information on an air vent tube are as follows:

FEB-1-9         Cold Blast Bicycle Lamp (Dietz)
JULY-11-99    (unknown)
AUG-7-00        Outside Lift Lever
JUL-26-04      Burner "Wing-Lock" Fasteners (Dietz)
MAR-3-05       (unknown)
NOV-19-07     Lantern Air Tube with Eyelet (Dietz)
MAR-8-10         Bail Retainer
JUN-21-10      Reinforced Lantern Frame (Dietz)
MAY-7-12         Short Globe (D-Lite) Lantern (Dietz)

M-7-28         Produced in the NY City "M" main factory in July, 1928
                     (lantern manufacturing stopped at the "M" main plant in 1931.

So, I got a very nice old one. After a few more molasses soaking and cleanings, it should look like new but with the patina acquired over many years since it was made.

As noted on the Dietz historical web page: "The "D-Lite" style of lantern was first produced as the "Nu-Style" lantern by C. T. Ham in 1912, the same year Dietz introduced the "D-Lite." Both lanterns utilized the "Short-Globe" lantern patents of Warren McArthur and his son Warren McArthur Jr., and featured a top-lift telescoping chimney, making them the most expensive hand lanterns produced for general use in their day."

TelePlay

This is my 1943 Dietz #2 DeLite that was made in their "S" Syracuse factory. You can see they modified the two air tubes, rounded them off, sometimes within the 15 year time period between my "M" 1928 and "S" 1943 lanterns. The pre-war tin with tin plating really looks good and the '43 lantern has a larger oil reservoir. I hope I can get the '28 to look as good.

twocvbloke

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on December 02, 2012, 10:10:32 PM
I like the blue glass on that one... :)

Thank you! And for what it's worth, the "blue" lanterns had several different applications.

In the Navy, it means the Captain is on board.
Fire Departments signaled either an Assistant Chief Engineer or Volunteer Company.
In road construction, it meant Men at Work or Do Not Move.

I never knew that but my wife suggested the blue globe (she does have very good taste  ::) ) and it really does put out a nice light when lit in the evening, and goes well with the tin plate.

TelePlay

Doug,

Found your lantern scrolling through eBay tonight. Nice price. It really is in good shape.

Doug Rose

thanks John...I have two of them that appear to be NOS. I am surprised it didn't go at that price, we shall see....Doug
Kidphone

AE40FAN

Teleplay, I am very interested in learning more about your molasses technique?  Did your 1943 get that way from that process?  It looks great!

TelePlay

Quote from: AE40FAN on December 04, 2012, 05:59:53 PM
Teleplay, I am very interested in learning more about your molasses technique?  Did your 1943 get that way from that process?  It looks great!

This link will take you to the Kirkman FAQ page. Scroll down to #7. That explains the molasses technique and a few others. It's a slow process.

http://www.lanterns.us/faqs.htm

That '43 lantern was in fine shape when I got it. It was just dirty but had no rust on it. It also suffered from a poor eBay listing photo. Here is the thread I started for than lantern with before and after pictures of it.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7196.0

That '43 cleaned up easily. Got lucky on that one.

The '28 has been around longer and has some rust on it. It's now soaking for the 4th time. I think one or two more soakings should do it. It's never going to look like the '43 but will be a fine lantern with a darker patina than the '43. This is what it looked like tonight before going back into the molasses bath, without the globe.

AE40FAN

Doug Rose

Quote from: TelePlay on December 04, 2012, 10:16:04 PM
Quote from: AE40FAN on December 04, 2012, 05:59:53 PM
Teleplay, I am very interested in learning more about your molasses technique?  Did your 1943 get that way from that process?  It looks great!

This link will take you to the Kirkman FAQ page. Scroll down to #7. That explains the molasses technique and a few others. It's a slow process.

That '43 lantern was in fine shape when I got it. It was just dirty but had no rust on it. It also suffered from a poor eBay listing photo. Here is the thread I started for than lantern with before and after pictures of it.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7196.0

That '43 cleaned up easily. Got lucky on that one.

The '28 has been around longer and has some rust on it. It's now soaking for the 4th time. I think one or two more soakings should do it. It's never going to look like the '43 but will be a fine lantern with a darker patina than the '43. This is what it looked like tonight before going back into the molasses bath, without the globe.
John...that is very impressive. I only have a few lanterns. My oldest Bell System lantern looks like your molasses treatment lantern. Unpainted. Would a Bell System globe fit in your lamp?....Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

QuoteWould a Bell System globe fit in your lamp?....Doug

The Dietz #2 D-Lite lantern globe is 4 5/8" high with a 4 1/16 diameter top and a 3 7/16 diameter bottom.

That globe fits many other models but not all. I'd bet they made Bell Globes for several different lanterns.

This is the top page for all replacement lanterns.

http://www.lanternnet.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=WKL&Category_Code=RG

All globes listed have dimensions so if your Bell Globe doesn't fit a #2 D-Lite or similar lantern, you can find out which one it does fit and look for one of those on eBay, if you want to put a lantern around your globe.

Doug Rose

John....I thought you were looking for a globe for your lantern. i have a Bell System globe and I thought you might be able to use. My mistake....Doug
Kidphone