News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Fold-Away Wall Mounted Turntable

Started by Nick in Manitou, January 16, 2017, 08:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick in Manitou

I did a quick search for parts and it seems that there are sources for the parts it might need.
We don't own the house yet, and my wife probably won't let me put this item at the top of the priority list, but it will be fun to get it working.

19and 41, Thanks for pointing out that 1964 Magnavox unit on Craig's List.  It looks a bit fancier than "ours".  It is pretty cool that it could be mounted on a wall, or one could order legs for it.

Bloke,  I took a photo of the label of the record currently in the unit.  I remember when this group was current! (I guess being old is something I will have to own up to one of these years!)  The record came out in 1963 won a Grammy for the Best Performance by a Chorus and they also won the Grammy for Best New Artist that year.  One can find the album out there on the internet for the princely sum of $9!

Nick

twocvbloke

I thought I'd have a look for info on that group, and they're apparently still going today, albeit with different people (kind of like Foreigner in that aspect!!), so, I guess you could say, they're still "current"... ;D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Swingle_Singers

19and41

MCM electronics sells belt kits for turntables and cassette decks also.  They have an excellent site.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Nick in Manitou

19and41,

Thanks for the heads-up on the MCM site.  I will keep that website bookmarked for when we are in the house and I can tear into the turntable to see what is needed.

Nick

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Nick in Manitou

Well, we have actually completed the purchase of the house.  So now the modifications begin.

We will not be using the fold-away turntable, so if there is anyone on the forum that might be interested, let me know.  I have pulled it out of the wall and hope to get the metal box it was mounted into the wall with extracted tomorrow.  The turntable motor runs and the radio works, but the platter does not turn although the previous owner said that it did very recently.  As others have said, it probably needs a belt.  An original owner's manual for the turntable was inside the unit.

I have also pulled out the related intercom units in case anyone is interested in those.

Let me know,
Nick