News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Manual 302

Started by Tom B, June 30, 2011, 05:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom B

I just won a manual 302 from a UK seller on eBay. Paid £8.27 plus shipping ($27 total). I received the phone yesterday and believed it was a late 40s or early 50s phone as the casing was described as plastic. I opened the handset up and saw transmitter and receiver both dated 9/42. I took the shell off and all dated 10/42 even the shell. The underside of the base has a vermillion circle with SC 758-F marking, which I presume is Signal Corps.
The phone was filthy but is cleaning up nicely. Have I done well here,  or are these phones highly common?
Tom

Sargeguy

Signal Corps phones aren't rare but having one dated from WW2 makes it more desirable.  I have never seen a thermoplastic one that old, most 302s from this era are alloy.  Nice find!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

rdelius

The switchover started in 1941 I believe. Both sets were in production at the same time.I have seen both with military stamps in the WW2 years.Nice set to find intact,The early plastic sets do not turn up as often.
Robby

Tom B

I got the set home and found someone had been playing silly buggers with the internal wiring, so I made some adjustments. I immediately got dial tone and the set rang nice and loud - sweet ;D The cloth cords were knackered unfortunately, and will have to be replaced.
It's now in pieces being cleaned and polished. I'll post some pics when its done.
Tom