News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need Help to Wire a 304 to Ring

Started by Doug Rose, June 21, 2015, 12:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I know I have asked before, but I cannot find my notes. Janet found a real nice Ivory 304 in working condition, dated 5/16/52.

Sorry Dave, missed by a month!

Works perfectly, no ring. You're help is appreciated.

Besides a crack in the back, this displays really well....Doug
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

Doug  ....     Nice set !   Cracks go hand in hand with those sets, and while one with no cracks is nice, it's nothing to worry about or at least that's my opinion.

Ringer :    Slate from condenser connects to black from ringer on the small square terminal board located next to the left gong, and they're normally joined terminated on terminal "K" on that little board.      Red ringer conductor connects to "L-1" on the 101A ind. coil.

Jeff Lamb

Ktownphoneco

Doug    ......   Sorry about that, I just noticed it's equipped with a 101B for tip-party ID.      Terminal conversion (disregard terminal "M" not used on private line service) RR=L1   /   R = R   /   "C = C"  /  GN = GN.       The 102B has no passive terminal point labelled "L-2", so use one of the unused terminal points on the small square terminal board next to the left ringer gong.

So the only real terminal difference between a 101-A and a 101-B,  is "RR = L1", and "T" is not used.    Make sure the yellow from the condenser is connected to line 2 at the  L2 terminal point.

Jeff Lamb

poplar1

1. Put the yellow condenser wire on RR, where the green line cord is.
2. Put the red capacitor wire on L1 of the terminal block, where the red line cord is.
3. Connect the slate capacitor wire and black ringer wire together on K of terminal block.
4. Connect the slate and slate-red ringer wires together. (You can use the GND terminal to do this,  if you tape and store the yellow line cord wire.)

Note that this phone has already been somewhat modified by moving the green line cord wire from L2 of terminal block to RR. This bypasses the "extra" set of contact springs (GN-R and SL-R) on the switchhook, which aren't really necessary when the set is used on an individual line rather than tip-party-ID party line. It does mean, however, that you can't connect the ringer circuit (i.e., yellow capacitor wire) to "L2" if the line cord is connected directly to RR.

Another way of rewiring 304s is shown in the TCI library: With this method, the line cord is connected to L1 and L2 on the small terminal block.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

thanks everyone....done for the day. I will try this next time.

David....are you saying if I just move line cord to L1 and L2 on the small block, it will ring? That's so easy, even I can do it...Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

Doug, if you connect the line (Red) to L1 and  (Green) to L2, on the little block, then make sure the yellow capacitor wire in also on L2, and the red ringer wire is on L1.

You will still need to connect the slate and slate-red ringer leads together, if your ringer has 4 wires (B2A ringer). And K is used the same as in a 302: to connect the black ringer wire and slate capacitor wire together.

The yellow switchhook wire will be on L1 and the green-red switchhook wire will be on L2.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

thanks David....I'll give it a shot. As always....many thanks...Doug
Kidphone