News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is it easier to dial with a non transparent dial?

Started by dsk, February 09, 2011, 12:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

I always thought you were way ahead of us, transparent dial was impressive, we did get this first in 1967.
Now I've got a Star Lite (without light) on the wall, and think it's hard not to fail if I get a little angle.
What are your experiences?

dsk

Russ Kirk

Interesting, I never gave it much thought.  Now that I think about it,  you are correct.  At least for me, it is easier to dial a phone with a black dial vs. a clear dial.  I guess the contrast is greater.  This would make more sense in low light areas.

Russ....
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Phonesrfun

I have never had any trouble, but I do know that on the AE phones, the plastic dial wheels had beveled holes for the fingers, whereas WE stayed with straight, but slightly rounded edges on the plastic  finger wheel holes. 

As a result, on an AE phone with the plastic finger wheel,  my finger is more apt to slip out of the hole unless I am mindful of that issue. 

I believe the users of the phones at the time were just used to how they would put their fingers in the holes to avoid slippage, and that it probably was not an issue, except for us that grew up using WE phones and went to someone's house that had an AE.

Also, for me, the fact that the plastic finger wheel is transparent and therefore see-through was never an issue for confusion.
-Bill G

dsk

Has not been a problem before I got the Starlite.  Since this one has just a glue on dial center, I made a replacement dial center. Made the diameter slightly bigger, and used glue stick around the edge to fix it. Will not harm plastic, or the original dial center..

It is a little bit easier to use the phone now,  and as you see not many other telephones would fit into that place.

dsk

rdelius

Also note that on AE dials the fingerwheel is very close to the dial plate . You cannot hook your fingertips under it like on other dials
Robby