News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How should a 1930’s Kellogg 700 phone be handled?

Started by Dewdrop, February 11, 2011, 09:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewdrop

The phone arrived yesterday and was left outside for around 5 hours in temperatures in the 20s.

Brought it inside and it's still in the box unopened.

Thought it would be best for it to come up to room temperature (inside temp 64ish) before handling it.

Are there any other precautions that should be taken?

Will need cords for this one.

THANKS
Debbie
Debbie

Dewdrop

So was that a dumb question?

Here goes nothing....

Debbie
Debbie

Dennis Markham

Debbie, I don't know if it was a dumb question or not.  I don't know that I would treat it differently than any old phone.  You did what I always do and let things warm to room temperature before I start unwrapping them.  Considering the temperature extremes this time of year.   Any time of year these things are subject to the frigid temperatures of the cargo hold on the airplanes that transport them.  I don't know for sure if they keep the cargo areas on jets aircraft warm or not.  It's cold up there!  So a box gets on board a plane in Dallas in July and it's hotter than fire.  A few minutes later it's a 30,000 feet.  Then it's on the ground where it's warm again.

Here in Michigan that box is sitting on the porch in single digit temps (this week).  So yes, letting it warm to room temp is a good idea in my mind.

Again, I don't know about that phone specifically as far as extra care.  Don't let the handset bang against the body, don't drop it on the floor..... :)

~Dennis

Dewdrop

I opened it just a few minutes ago. No cracks visible on the base or handset.

The base feels very light so I unscrewed the bottom 4 screws to look inside. Looks like it all there, but hey this is the first Kellogg 700 I've seen up close and held.

What kind of cords will work on this phone? Line cord and handset cord...

They are cloth covered and looks like two wires run through the handset cord.

THANKS
Debbie
Debbie

Jim Stettler

I agree it is a good idea to let a package slowly warm.

I had a rose beige 500 delivered in sub zero tempertures.
I immediatly unpaked it and it appeared fine.
A few hours later it had a couple of cracks.
I think these were from temperture change.
--------------------------------------------------
When I get a cold package, I warm it for a couple of hours before I open it.

if the cold has been extreme, I will leave the item wrapped in the bubbble wrap and out of the box for another 1-2 hours.

It may not make a difference, but It doesn't hurt.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Dewdrop on February 11, 2011, 11:55:39 AM
I opened it just a few minutes ago. No cracks visible on the base or handset.

The base feels very light so I unscrewed the bottom 4 screws to look inside. Looks like it all there, but hey this is the first Kellogg 700 I've seen up close and held.

What kind of cords will work on this phone? Line cord and handset cord...

They are cloth covered and looks like two wires run through the handset cord.

THANKS
Debbie

It should have 3 wires in the handset cord, and depending on whether it was wired as sidetone or antisidetone, it would have three or four wires in the line cord that would have gone to a subset.  Was there a paper wiring diagram inside the base of the phone? 

-Bill G

Sargeguy

I could never wait that long!!!  Luckily my 1928 house is always freezing.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Jim Stettler

The package containing my clear SC 1212 Fat boy arrived @ 5:00 PM the day before my Birthday.
I waited until morning to open the outer box, an hour later I opened the inner box. I set the bubble-wrapped phone on the bench for another 2 hours (to "savor " the moment).
I was quite happy with it when I finally had it unwrapped.
There is a photo of it on page 138 of Dooners Yellow book. "Telephones Antique to Modern"

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.