News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Problematic WE 302. After dialing a number the line goes back to a dial tone.

Started by WhiteRaven22, July 10, 2013, 03:33:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteRaven22

I'm having trouble solving an on-and-off problem with my Western Electric 302.  I replaced the AE 24 dial with a better-condition AE 24 dial to resolve various problems with the phone.  However, this just brought about a new set of problems.  I know it is not a service issue because the internet-and-phone modem that my cable company provides is perfectly compatible with rotary dialing.  Since replacing the dial I have the problem that many times when I dial a number, the line immediately goes back to a dial tone as soon as the dial reaches the rest position.  This problem doesn't seem to be associated with any particular number on the dial, and some (rare) days it doesn't even happen and the entire thing works perfectly.  I've checked the wiring schematic many times and everything looks in order as far as which wires go where.  The dial seems to function fine mechanically, so I'm not sure that is the issue.  Looking at the decrepid wiring in the phone gives me the feeling that some of the wires may need replacing.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this problem or where I should start looking?

Also, does anyone know where I can obtain the types of wires and terminators used in this phone?

This problem is more of a nuisance since I can still recieve calls, I just can't dial out.

G-Man

Assuming that the transmitter leads inside the handset cord are not intermittent, and that the Automatic Electric dial is properly wired and strapped to substitute for a Western Electric dial which was normally supplied with a 302, then I would suspect that your ATA, as are a number of them, is not very tolerant of even slightly out of spec. dials.

It may serve you well to send it to Steve Hilsz for cleaning and adjustment.

Perhaps others have further suggestions that may offer a better solution.

WhiteRaven22

I've tightened some of the connection screws on the back of the dial better.  Now it seems to be working more consistently, but I still have problems on occasion.  As a note, this was one of the WE 302's that had a AE 24 dial to begin with, rather than the standard 4h/5h dials.  From what I understand, this and the fact that the handset is marked "F1W" rather than "F1" indicates that this phone was sold to another company rather than provided to customers as the standard units were.

I've also made sure that none of the terminators on the back of the dial are touching other ones nearby (from other wires). 

I don't anything is wrong with the handset or handset cord, at least not anything that would affect normal conversation over this phone, because that part works fine.

You may be right about the onboard ATA on the modem provided by cable provider (The modem is an Arris TM502G Touchstone Telephony Modem).

Sometimes it will work perfectly for long spans of time, sometimes it will have the dial tone problem every time for a week.  I just wish the problem was more consistent so that I could nail it down.

Babybearjs

Also, double check the routing of the wires by the back of the dial... I had the same problem and found it was a wire interfering with the contacts on the #5 dial. if you set has a #6 dial, then disregard this posting.
John

WhiteRaven22

I will definitely check that.  I have an AE 24 dial, but the back of it is mostly openly accessible contacts like the 5h.

Doug Rose

You really should have a WE dial on your 302. A 5H or a 6A would be the logical choices.....good luck...Doug
Kidphone

WhiteRaven22

I've been thinking about investing on a refurbished 4h or 5h for a while... maybe when I have a little more spare cash I can obtain one.

Phonesrfun

Older AE dials should be just as robust and able to pulse within specs as a Western Electric dial.  Therefore, I would bet the problem is in the ATA, which we have seen, many are absolutely intolerant of a mechanical rotary dial coupled with inductive/capacitive loads.  Modern electronic phones that have pulsing capabilities output a resitive pure square wave, and that kind of pulse is what the narrow minded modern engineers have designed into many ATA's

Try the phone out on a standard phone line if you can find one, or on someone else's ATA.

Sorry to sound so negative....
-Bill G

WhiteRaven22

After tightening the wire connection screws on the back of the dial and making sure the wire contacts weren't interfering with eachother or the dial in any way, I must have managed to get something correct, intentionally or otherwise.  The phone now seems to work perfectly every time.  I'm still much more suspicious of bad wires and loose contacts being the culprit in this phone than the in-built cable modem ATA.  If the ATA were the problem, I would expect the problem to be far more consistent, not leaving me with these long streaks of time where the phone works perfectly every time.  In any case, the problem seems to be solved for now...  I'll post if I start having trouble again.

Phonesrfun

-Bill G