News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cord / Color Restoration

Started by Jester, June 11, 2009, 07:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

This is more of a modification than a repair.  The handset cord on the ivory 554 I recently posted pictures of was a little stretched out, so I decided to replace it with a longer NOS cord.  The problem was that it had the newer tapered grommet, & I didn't want to use something that screamed "replacement part".  I considered removing the tapered grommet & replacing it with older grommet off the original cord, but that cord is repairable & I couldn't justify cutting it up for parts.  The solution, then, was to remove the original grommet, cut the taper off to restore the square cut look, and, after dressing the end so it looked "factory", slide the modified grommet back onto the cord & replace the metal crimp to hold it in place.  Since I shortened the grommet almost 5/8", I decided to move it closer to the coils than it was originally.  This also helps it resemble an older cord mor convincingly.  See what you think.
Stephen

Dennis Markham

Stephen, very nice!  How did you remove the retainer clip (crimp)?  That really looks "original"!

Jester

To remove the crimp, I clamped the cord in a small vise right in front of the crimp.  I then placed a small slotted screwdriver at the seam between the cord & the crimp, right next to the split in the crimp, & drove it downward with a sharp blow from a 20 oz. ball peen hammer.  After getting the split to open, I then held the crimp with a pair of channel locks & gently used the screwdriver to pry the crimp open far enough to slip off the cord.  Replacement was to simply close the crimp around the cord with the pliers.
Stephen

Dennis Markham

Gotcha....thank you.  It's a lot easier when you aren't trying to save the cord, isn't it?  I think it's important to hold one's breath while doing it too.  I always slip and wreck something.