News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My "new" early '38 302

Started by davidbholcomb, August 18, 2014, 02:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidbholcomb

I recently picked up this first quarter '38 302 in Reno, Nevada. The only piece, I believe, to have been replaced is the transmitter with the date of 9/39. Works great.  Does anyone know when the coiled rubber cord was first introduced?
Dave, who still needs a Transmitter Bracket for the Automatic Electric Type 38 Handset.

WEBellSystemChristian

The coiled cord was used in the 50s and 60s as a replacement for straight cords on 302s, so that cord isn't original. It's pretty easy to find cloth cords, especially as repros from OldPhoneWorks.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

You can research dates and features of these sets in another forum post

Perhaps the most noteworthy fact of your set is that it still has a 4H dial, which was only made anymore a few months into 38. Most sets have 5H dials.

You should be able to read a date for the cords on the stress relieve sleeves at the telephone end, often it is needed to unhook them though to see the date.

Would you mind reading the logo inscription on the handset?  There are basically two types for a Bell System F1 handset.

davidbholcomb

Thank you Christian and Unbeldi for your replies. I have attached pictures of the markings on the handset and of the end of the cord. So it would appear that the cord was replaced sometime between '51 and '57. Unbeldi thanks for posting that link, I searched this forum for all kinds of things trying to find just that but never discovered it till your posting.
Dave, who still needs a Transmitter Bracket for the Automatic Electric Type 38 Handset.