News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Unusual Plug on a WE Candlestick

Started by Desert Phone Guy, December 03, 2018, 07:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desert Phone Guy

I purchased a WE candlestick  recently that was connected to an interesting plug.

I have attached photos of the plug for opinions and possible identification. 

Is this a WE Plug, or something that was put on  the phone by the previous owner?  Just from visual inspection, it looks fairly early.

There are two small screws that hold the housing to the jack body.  The screws did not want to release with gentle force, so I opted not to force them to cause any damage.

Thanks for any information ...

Steve

Jim Stettler

I think that is an early "portable phone" plug (pre 4-prong). In the early days they would centrally locate the subset/ringer and would add jacks connected to the subset.
You could move the telephone from room to room. This was a "Mansion type" option.
I have never seen one  that old. I know they were made for D-mounts, however those look newer.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Ktownphoneco

How about an operator's headset plug.   Attached is a page out of W.E. 1908 Telephone Catalog. Double click to enlarge.

Jeff Lamb

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on December 03, 2018, 08:04:02 PM
How about an operator's headset plug.   Attached is a page out of W.E. 1908 Telephone Catalog. Doub;e click to enlarge.

Jeff Lamb

That lo
How about an operator's headset plug.   Attached is a page out of W.E. 1908 Telephone Catalog. Doub;e click to enlarge.

Jeff Lamb

Jeff Lamb

That looks more likely.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

I have seen that plug in old movies. They were in a restaurant and the phone was brought to the table and plugged into the floor.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

I have seen that plug with a metal square jack on it, like the predecessor to the 283 4 prong...Doug
Kidphone

RB

Quote from: HarrySmith on December 04, 2018, 07:38:53 AM
I have seen that plug in old movies. They were in a restaurant and the phone was brought to the table and plugged into the floor.
I would like to see that!
did not know about that tidbit.

Desert Phone Guy

Wow!  Thanks for the responses.  The phone that this plug was attached to was a WE No. 22 Non Dial Nickel Stick. 

The 1908 catalog picture is exactly what I have.  Now, the next decision is to try to open it, or let the next owner  enjoy that.

The housing  material looks (and smells) to be hard rubber, like the the 144 bi polar receiver shells.

If anyone has an interest in the plug, please contact me via pm.

Thanks again.

Steve

Doug Rose

Quote from: RB on December 04, 2018, 10:05:07 AM
I "might" still have one. Might is not the key word ...find is the key word.  I will look around my not as clean as Harry's work area this weekend....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Quote from: RB on December 04, 2018, 10:05:07 AM
If I could recall the movie that might be possible.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Desert Phone Guy

I have listed the Plug for sale on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223270731872

Hopefully I did the link correctly.

Thank you Jeff for the catalog cut.  I used that photo in the listing.

Steve

Ktownphoneco

HowardPgh

Howard