News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Since when are dial card retainer rings made of plastic?

Started by Greg G., January 02, 2017, 08:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

RotarDad

WE started making them from plastic in the 70's, I believe.  You can usually spot them by their slightly thicker dimension versus metal, and the often gray hue they have from age (UV exposure?).  Your pic shows the gray tone.  And yes, they break easily.....especially the mount tabs.
Paul

Greg G.

Quote from: RotarDad on January 02, 2017, 09:32:16 PM
WE started making them from plastic in the 70's, I believe.  You can usually spot them by their slightly thicker dimension versus metal, and the often gray hue they have from age (UV exposure?).  Your pic shows the gray tone.  And yes, they break easily.....especially the mount tabs.

Garbage.  I have a box or bag of the metal ones somewhere, but you think I can find them when I need them?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

WEBellSystemChristian

They usually turned white from powdery residue forming on the surface due to environmental/UV exposure. It can usually be polished off very easily. I agree, total junk.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Greg G.

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on January 02, 2017, 11:00:10 PM
They usually turned white from powdery residue forming on the surface due to environmental/UV exposure. It can usually be polished off very easily. I agree, total junk.

Yeah, I notice the gray gunk rubbed off with my fingernail, but it went in the trash anyway.  I found my collection of rings, but they're all chrome, I must have used the black ones, there weren't many to begin with.  Fortunately I found a spare one kicking around in a drawer.
- Mike Row
e