News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

302 field test phone??

Started by baldopeacock, August 22, 2010, 10:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldopeacock

So did anyone here go after this one?   Went for $819.   I was hoping D/P had this in his sights.

http://tinyurl.com/2aq3uxv

Ad copy:

"This is the first one of these I've come across and I will assume it's somewhat rare. It would seem to be a prototype of the 302, with some noteworthy variations. The switch hook push pins are directly attached to the mechanism levers, rather than sitting on top. The diecast zinc metal case does not have a separate opening for the handset cord, both cords exit from behind. It has the filter mounted next to the dial. Feet are different as well, having the mounting pin visible in the center of each one. Rewired with reproduction cloth cord and modular plug. The date is 1936, the first year that these were made.  Phone  is referred to as test station 1155, the number being stamped in several places inside the phone. 4H Dial with numbers in good condition. Has original wiring diagram tucked under a clip on the condenser, for the benefit of the repairman who would be unfamiliar with the set. Sharp eyes might find some other differences which I may have missed."

The bottom of the base is not typical, either -

Label inside the case IDing it as Trial station # 1155...  "storeroom or shop, do not clean or work on this set, forward to Bell Labs"

Kenny C

someone said the prototypes had both cords coming outta the back it seems legit
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

paul-f

I was watching it with interest.

Similar sets have been displayed at past phone shows...
    http://www.paul-f.com/wep302.html

One was all bakelite, which was really interesting.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

rdelius

I have 2 of them, one is like the one shown and the id number is in the 600s if i remember. The "f1" handset has metal threads, the transmitter cap is 2 parts,a ring and the same grill found on later E1 handsets. The cap on the receiver has one large hole. the Rec capsule is visible through the hole.
Robby

Doug Rose

This is really quit cool. Its right up there with D/P's 500 set. Its a shame that someone "upgraded" it with new cords. The handset must have been replaced, as the handset elements were dated 41 and 47 and the F1 should have been seamless, or an E1. Seller said the case wasn't painted and all the paint was original. I guess it wasn't used much. All in all a missing link in the 302 evolution. I thought it would go higher, you certainly don't see these every day...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: Kidphone on August 23, 2010, 09:40:21 AM
This is really quit cool. Its right up there with D/P's 500 set. Its a shame that someone "upgraded" it with new cords. The handset must have been replaced, as the handset elements were dated 41 and 47 and the F1 should have been seamless, or an E1. Seller said the case wasn't painted and all the paint was original. I guess it wasn't used much. All in all a missing link in the 302 evolution. I thought it would go higher, you certainly don't see these every day...Doug
Robby....I would like to see a picture of the F1 you are describing. I have never seen one. I thought the F1 should have been seamless, obviously I was wrong. Please post some pictures of your phone.....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

It is in storage so this is not possible . I will look to see if I have any photos. I displayed it an one of the Cincinnati shows around 1999
Robby

paul-f

Quote from: rdelius on August 23, 2010, 09:37:58 AM
I have 2 of them, one is like the one shown and the id number is in the 600s if i remember. The "f1" handset has metal threads, the transmitter cap is 2 parts,a ring and the same grill found on later E1 handsets. The cap on the receiver has one large hole. the Rec capsule is visible through the hole.
Robby

What's the other one like, Robby?

I'd also appreciate photos, when possible - or any other info you remember.

The two piece transmitter cap idea made it into production in the Northern Electric NF handset.  Do you recall whether your handset has a receiver capsule similar to the one on the NF?
   http://www.paul-f.com/neUNI.html    (scroll down)

Dan/Panther

Quote from: rdelius on August 23, 2010, 09:37:58 AM
Robby

Robby; Can you post some photos ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

paul-f

Well...  I checked my dusty archives and managed to come up with a few photos of D-97464 sets with metal housings -- including one with the F-like handset.

Check out the new and improved page...
  http://www.paul-f.com/wep302.html

AE_Collector

Bought by ebaY "rolrsk8123". I believe he is a member of TCI.

Terry

rdelius

The other field trial "302" set is almost identical to the early production sets.I think I remember the dial was somewhat a hybrid #4 and #5. Not identical to either one. Handset was an F1 with no grooves.Handset cord hole was on the side.Do not remember the serial number but it was much higher . The set had the decal painted over so it had gotten sent back into the field.Off topic I have a field trial single slot from 1960-1.The telephone number was Homdel NJ (Bell Labs)
Robby

Doug Rose

Robby...you must have one fantastic collection if 302 field test phones are in a box in storage. ....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

I do not have enough room to display them, I might cycle them to use a different one on line. I had more telephones but they were stolen. The police want serial numbers. Know what antique dealer had some of them but The police do not care ,even if you can describe damage etc they called it hearsay and not proof.
Robby

paul-f

Quote from: rdelius on August 25, 2010, 10:32:49 AM
<snip>
I had more telephones but they were stolen. The police want serial numbers. Know what antique dealer had some of them but The police do not care ,even if you can describe damage etc they called it hearsay and not proof.
Robby

That's an unsettling experience.  It makes one wonder how they process reports for stolen jewelry or other items without serial numbers.  How can we protect our collections?

This sounds like a new topic...
   http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3265.0