News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Red '55 500

Started by liteamorn, April 18, 2012, 03:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liteamorn

I won this phone the other day, from what I can see it looks to be all soft plastic even though the seller never states any of that, I figure for 37 bucks plus shipping it was worth a shot.

http://tinyurl.com/ccsl566

JorgeAmely

Sniff, sniff ... yes, soft plastic. Congratulations. Great price too!
Jorge

jsowers

Congrats on your new red!

What kind of ringer did it come with? The ringer looks unusual from what's sticking out from the opening on the bottom. Kind of a lever instead of a thumbwheel. Please post a picture when you get the phone.

Also I'm thinking this phone originally came with dark gray cords and the long handset cord is a replacement. Sometime in 1955 or early 1956 the red cords made their debut, so it's on the borderline. Is there a date on the cord restraint? That would tell the story.
Jonathan

liteamorn

I agree on both fronts Jonathan, the short nub on the handset cord had me thinking it might be original, but I thought dark gray was more fitting for the year '55. I wondered about the ringer slide myself, I figured for $37 it was worth a shot, I love these phones in red (and pink and Mediterranian Blue). I will have it opened shortly after I get it out of the box and I will post pictures of what I find.

Snake

I was watching that, but didn't bid on it because I'm saving up some money for gas... :-\

liteamorn

The phone arrived today and it seems I got my money's worth. It tripped my voice modem as soon before I could do anything else, wireing issues for sure.

The ringer has been replaced with an electronic set up hence the lever instead of the wheel for a loudness conrol.

The dial, shell and network all carry a 1955 date,  the dial has the color code 53 (red).

Both handset caps are to tight to remove right now.

So I have a project , the shell is in very good shape and a little Novus should work wonders on it.

The handset cord restraint has no date on it and the entire cord looks like a replacement. I will have my eyes open for the parts needed to complete this.

For 37 bucks I am not disappointed. I have the parts to probably get it to work, I'll be looking for the parts to make it correct.