News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Interrupter

Started by HarrySmith, September 08, 2014, 02:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Came across this Interrupter while searching eBay. Not be a key telephone guy I wonder what exactly does it do? It looks nice, I may pick one up just for display. Is it worth what he is asking?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121431476497
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

1 second on, 3 seconds off for incoming call for ringers or buzzers
60 IPM  "flash": for lamps to indicate incoming call
?   IPM   "wink": for lamps to indicate a held call
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: HarrySmith on September 08, 2014, 02:02:59 PM
Came across this Interrupter while searching eBay. Not be a key telephone guy I wonder what exactly does it do? It looks nice, I may pick one up just for display. Is it worth what he is asking?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121431476497

Interrupters are used for generating signaling cadences from constant D.C. or A.C. power supplies. They use a motor with a rotating armature that moves the spring contacts to 'interrupt' the source voltage by a certain frequency and duration as given by the geometry of the rotating contact assembly. The motor runs continuously and consumes very little power, as its mechanical load is very minimal.

For display or use,  I wouldn't pay that much.  Just last week someone sold three of them, in very nice condition for $7 plus shipping.  You can find them in single quantities often for around $10.

unbeldi

This vendor, for example, has many of them for $9 ea, including shipping.
He always has a lot of 1A2 stuff.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291236982982

poplar1

Most interrupters for 1A2 run on 10 Volts AC. There is a start lead (ST) in the 400-type line card that causes the motor to start. Answering a line shorts the A and A1 leads, causing a winking lamp (held call) or flashing lamp (incoming call) to change to steady (line in use), and causing the ringer/buzzer to stop on an incoming call. However, the interrupter motor continues to turn just long enough to return to "home" position, unless there is another held or incoming call. If the motor continues to turn all the time, then this indicates a defective 400-type line card.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: poplar1 on September 08, 2014, 02:51:21 PM
Most interrupters for 1A2 run on 10 Volts AC. There is a start lead (ST) in the 400-type line card that causes the motor to start. Answering a line shorts the A and A1 leads, causing a winking lamp (held call) or flashing lamp (incoming call) to change to steady (line in use), and causing the ringer/buzzer to stop on an incoming call. However, the interrupter motor continues to turn just long enough to return to "home" position, unless there is another held or incoming call. If the motor continues to turn all the time, then this indicates a defective 400-type line card.

Indeed, I forgot. The B-relay on the line card is triggered by the ring detection on the CO line and turns the interruptor supply on.