News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 500 Straight Cord Wiring

Started by tjmack99, December 03, 2010, 11:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjmack99

This is not the best picture, but this 500 set came with the line cord freshly cut from the wall. I'm not all that familiar with what the original wiring looks like, so are these 3 wires typical? My basement has a 4 prong recepticle, and I'd like to just wire this right to the junction box where that 4 prong line is connected (see additional pics). I think only 2 of the wires are necessary, is that correct?
Thanks,
Tim

tjmack99

Sorry, meant to include this picture of the wire coming from the back of the phone...

Dan

red and green are the two you need. Also known as L1 and l2 or tip and ring
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

tjmack99

Thanks, but being color blind, would that be the 2 on the left?

Dan

yes, the two shortest on the picture
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

bingster

The phone geek in me just went to a very happy place looking at that wiring.  I love old phone wiring! :)
= DARRIN =

Adam

Oh, Bingster!  Me too!  Very nostalgic!  Irresistible urge to follow those wires off the photo and see where they go!  Get the butt set out, quick!

:)
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

bingster

Quote from: masstel on December 04, 2010, 06:48:15 PMIrresistible urge to follow those wires off the photo and see where they go! 

Yes, exactly! LOL

Now we just need to get rid of that bright blue modern cable and replace it with a piece of vintage black drop wire. ;)
= DARRIN =

tjmack99

Oh, yeah you'd love looking at this basement, the phone wires go up and along the big old exposed beams, in all directions, then up to all the other rooms. There's a very old "chalk board" calendar above the phone with all sorts of hard to read hen scratching of phone numbers and driving directions. It's weird to stand in the same spot and imagine all the phone calls and activity that went on fifty something years ago....I can just imaging the guy who came in and installed the blue wiring to make things modern, scratching his head at the old 4 prong plug....