News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

OLD Wanted -- Anyone Got Any Bell System Mechanical Pencils?

Started by Snake, February 09, 2012, 12:09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snake

I use mechanical pencils for the majority of the day, I recently saw pictures of the bell system mechanical pencils with the dialer on the ends of them. I was wondering if anyone had any they wanted to sell? If you do, let me know, it would be greatly appreciated.

(Source for image: http://tinyurl.com/82r2ybp)

DavePEI

Quote from: Reptile_Master on February 09, 2012, 12:09:44 AM
I use mechanical pencils for the majority of the day, I recently saw pictures of the bell system mechanical pencils with the dialer on the ends of them. I was wondering if anyone had any they wanted to sell? If you do, let me know, it would be greatly appreciated.

(Source for image: http://tinyurl.com/82r2ybp)

I have several, Tristan, but I use them as displays in the museum. There is also another type which consists of a cap with dialer ball which mounts on a non-mechanical pencil..

You will often find these on eBay for pretty reasonable prices.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

bwanna

sorry tristan, taking a little liberty with your topic. i have a Western Electric mechanical pencil given to my dad on his 20yr service anniversary. (1980) it is inscribed 'DL HOFFA 20 years service'  a great keepsake for me.
Thanks for letting me share.....Good Luck finding a pencil. :)
donna

Snake

Quote from: bwanna on February 09, 2012, 09:56:12 AM
sorry tristan, taking a little liberty with your topic. i have a Western Electric mechanical pencil given to my dad on his 20yr service anniversary. (1980) it is inscribed 'DL HOFFA 20 years service'  a great keepsake for me.
Thanks for letting me share.....Good Luck finding a pencil. :)

That's a very cool pencil, it looks to be made by cross too ??? That's very high quality compared to the "Duro-lite" ones they usually would hand out. Even cooler it holds the sentimental value for you. Thanks for sharing!

Vern P

Yes I have the ball top pencil that you want. The bad parts is, I don't know were they are. Got 10 or so, more than a few years ago.

I will look for them. TO MUCH STUFF, but still looking for more.

Vern P

PS: Bill you need to come help me look. :<) 

stub

I found my ball point pens and refills. stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Argee

Is there a good source for the refills for the ball point?  The MMF security pen refills fit but need a spacer at the end to make them long enough.

stub

Argee ,
            Not that I know of , yet!!
             Here you go for the mechanical pencils-  http://tinyurl.com/88ltq5b
                                                                                                                                stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Russ Kirk

Here are some of my older telephone related pens and pencils.

The second photo shows 4  items;
A Bell System nib pen
A Cross Pacific Bell pencil
A KOH-I-NOOR Bell System drafting pencil
A Bell System KS8300 pencil
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Snake

Quote from: Vern P on February 10, 2012, 01:33:12 AM
Yes I have the ball top pencil that you want. The bad parts is, I don't know were they are. Got 10 or so, more than a few years ago.

I will look for them. TO MUCH STUFF, but still looking for more.

Vern P

PS: Bill you need to come help me look. :<)  

Thanks! Let me know if you find them.

Quote from: stub on February 10, 2012, 10:54:22 AM
I found my ball point pens and refills. stub

That's a nice little group, Original refills :o I bet those aren't the easiest things to find.

Quote from: Russ Kirk on February 10, 2012, 01:06:09 PM
Here are some of my older telephone related pens and pencils.

The second photo shows 4  items;
A Bell System nib pen
A Cross Pacific Bell pencil
A KOH-I-NOOR Bell System drafting pencil
A Bell System KS8300 pencil

I really like that pen. Might have to keep my eye out for one of those as well...

Dave F

Here are two Bell System pencil dialer tips from my collection.  KS8400 has the slotted ball and KS8400-1 has the solid ball.

Dave F

Here are two interesting phone company pencils which, while definitely not mechanical, are cool enough to include in this thread.  Both are from the mid 1960s.

The Pacific Telephone pencil (3 views shown) was made to promote Card Dialers which were just being introduced at that time.

The General System pencil was an advertisement for long-distance calling.

Russ Kirk

Quote from: Dave F on February 14, 2012, 01:10:03 PM
Here are two interesting phone company pencils which, while definitely not mechanical, are cool enough to include in this thread.  Both are from the mid 1960s.

The Pacific Telephone pencil (3 views shown) was made to promote Card Dialers which were just being introduced at that time.

I like these a LOT!!!!
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Snake

Quote from: Dave F on February 14, 2012, 01:10:03 PM

That's very cool! :o Couldn't imagine a whole lot of those lasted. I could see most people just pulling the eraser off one end and using it...

Doug Rose

These are very different. Colors match the WE Color 302s....Doug
Kidphone