News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Just won a Uniphone!

Started by finlover, February 06, 2010, 10:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finlover

This one may be in the "so ugly it's cool category".  I just liked it because it's so unusual.  I didn't realize Northern Electric made a model that wasn't a W.E. clone.  The handset is what gets me--look at all those angles!  And the housing reminds me of an Aztec pyramid.  Not sure if it's beautiful, but it sure is interesting...

Hopefully the bakelite isn't as worn as it looks and it's just the flash from the camera.  Can't wait to get my grubby little paws on this one and shine it up!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300394480786&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

LarryInMichigan

Who is "marm302"?  Is it Dennis Markham by any chance?  He lives in, or very close to Shelby Township.

bingster

These were made by Northern for the Canadian independent market, and weren't intended for Bell System use.  This one's nice because it has the NU handset.  They don't seem to be all that common on this phone. Usually they're found with F handsets.
= DARRIN =

finlover

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on February 06, 2010, 10:28:22 PM
Who is "marm302"?  Is it Dennis Markham by any chance?  He lives in, or very close to Shelby Township.

It's Mark Scola.  I think he's a friend of Dennis' though.

finlover

Quote from: bingster on February 06, 2010, 11:24:21 PM
These were made by Northern for the Canadian independent market, and weren't intended for Bell System use.  This one's nice because it has the NU handset.  They don't seem to be all that common on this phone. Usually they're found with F handsets.
If this one had had an F handset I wouldn't have gone for it.  Can't wait to see the NU in person!

Bill Cahill

That's a nice phone... I like it.
Bill  Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Doug Rose

The NU is a tough handset to find and were only on the #1 and its wall phone brother. Not many were made and most had the Northern F1. I am still looking for this handset for my own collection. Mark Scola is Dennis' friend and they live close by each other. Nice pickup, this is a classic phone, great design. 100% bakelite in the mid 50's was rare in itself.....Doug
Kidphone

dsk

finlover

Quote from: Kidphone on February 07, 2010, 07:41:35 AM
The NU is a tough handset to find and were only on the #1 and its wall phone brother. Not many were made and most had the Northern F1. I am still looking for this handset for my own collection. Mark Scola is Dennis' friend and they live close by each other. Nice pickup, this is a classic phone, great design. 100% bakelite in the mid 50's was rare in itself.....Doug
Thanks for the info, Doug!  I probably paid too much for it; a similar one sold on eBay for $40 last month.  Now I have to decide whether to put a chrome fingerwheel on it or leave it in basic black.

Doug Rose

Greg...Myself, I don't think you paid too much. Was the other S40 phone a working phone? I have found these to be a royal pain to get working, even though they are a Western Cousin. This guys also chip very easily with the long expanse of bakelite and are hard to spot. Mark is an honest seller/collector and would have pointed out any damage. With the NU handset, I think you got a steal for a working #1 with NU. The chrome finger wheel would look sharp.....Doug
Kidphone

Jester

Congratulations, Greg.  I agree with the others--that was a good buy.  I started a thread on the No.1 & 2 Uniphones last Spring.  It might have some entertainment value.http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1075.15
Stephen

finlover

Quote from: Kidphone on February 07, 2010, 10:24:33 AM
Greg...Myself, I don't think you paid too much. Was the other S40 phone a working phone? I have found these to be a royal pain to get working, even though they are a Western Cousin. This guys also chip very easily with the long expanse of bakelite and are hard to spot. Mark is an honest seller/collector and would have pointed out any damage. With the NU handset, I think you got a steal for a working #1 with NU. The chrome finger wheel would look sharp.....Doug
Thanks for the reassurance, Doug!  The listing did say it worked and had no cracks.  I'll post plenty of pics after I've had my way with it.

finlover

Quote from: Jester on February 07, 2010, 02:10:53 PM
Congratulations, Greg.  I agree with the others--that was a good buy.  I started a thread on the No.1 & 2 Uniphones last Spring.  It might have some entertainment value.http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1075.15
Thanks, Jester,
That was fascinating reading--well done, sir!!  Makes me even more eager to get mine.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

finlover

I haven't started on it yet but I plan to begin tomorrow.  Looks like it was built in the early '50s then was in for service in '66 when it got a cheesy plastic number plate.  I'm going to call my buddy Chuck Irwin in Portland tomorrow and order a porcelain one that's right for a 5H dial.  I've decided to put a NOS black fingerwheel on there because I'm afraid a chrome one would clash with the duller, yellower nickel plated fingerstop (how's THAT for anal!).

The cords are undated but the handset is coiled vinyl so I'm guessing it's '60s.  The line cord is a thick rubber one so it may be original.  Both have brass collars like '50s W.E. cords so I'm confused.  I'm toying with the idea of straight cloth cords.  What to you guys think?  And should they be black or brown?

The bakelite is crack free and hasn't "browned out" so it should shine up nicely.  The sculptured lines of the NU handset are beautiful and it's surprisingly ergonomic.