News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Self Winding Clock Company Clock?

Started by Fabius, April 21, 2018, 09:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

I picked this up for $20 at the recent Shipshewana Indiana telephone show. It is a mechanical clock which electrically self winds. The movement appears to be a pocket watch movement rather then a clock movement. Movement is not a cheap one. All I can see is the top balance staff pivot and it is jeweled. The balance wheel is weighted which allows for timing adjustments by adding or removing weights. Both features are not usually seen in cheap movements. The clock is about 3 inches across (72mm) and 2 inches deep (51mm). The movement is in a heavy brass tube and is held in place by a brass screw on bezel that has a reeded edge.

The movement is marked PATENTED MAR 11, 1913 and there is a serial number. The brass case on the back is marked: USE #16 WIRE. 6 VOLTS. APRIL 1917 (The month when the US entered WW!)

The seller said it's a car clock but I think it's much more exciting to say it's a clock from a fighter, submarine or tank. Though it is probably a car clock but if it is then it was in General Pershing's staff car.

Clock runs fine and every so often there's a click when it rewinds. I use a small modern wall charger with a DC output.

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

kleenax

Quote from: Fabius on April 21, 2018, 09:01:43 PM
I picked this up for $20 at the recent Shipshewana Indiana telephone show. It is an mechanical clock which electrically self winds. The movement appears to be a pocket watch movement rather then a clock movement. Movement is not a cheap one. All I can see is the top balance staff pivot and it is jeweled. The balance wheel is weighted which allows for timing adjustments by adding or removing weights. Both features are not usually seen in cheap movements. The clock is about 3 inches across (72mm) and 2 inches deep (51mm). The movement is in a heavy brass tube and is held in place by a brass screw on bezel that has a reeded edge.

The movement is marked PATENTED MAR 11, 1913 and there is a serial number. The brass case on the back is marked: USE #16 WIRE. 6 VOLTS. APRIL 1917 (The month when the US entered WW!)

The seller said it's a car clock but I think it's much more exciting to say it's a clock from a fighter, submarine or tank. Though it is probably a car clock but if it is then it was in General Pershing's staff car.

Clock runs fine and every so often there's a click when it rewinds. I use a small modern wall charger with a DC output.

Nice find Tom!  I must have missed that one ;-)
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC