News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Metal Conn Toaster Phone

Started by Doug Rose, March 12, 2016, 08:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I purchased this on eBay for $1.50 from a fellow Forum member. I stripped all the paint off and it looks really sharp. This is one heavy phone, Signal Corps embossed on back and has the Signal Corps Diagram on bottom. I had the Conn handset with the great thick cord. A metal WE hook switch fit it, I added a dial blank and made this really cool looking Manual set....Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

I personally would have installed a White #5 or #6 and kept the paint. It looks great the way you have it though; it has a 'Signature Rose' look! ;)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

These show up on eBay every once and while in chrome but it's my personal opinion that the base metal like this looks better or more natural, a bit more subtle, than the shiny chrome. The lines of this phone are unique, always like them regardless of color. Nice looking phone, Doug.

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

I like it, it's sharp looking. Nice job!

Doug

Doug Rose

Thanks guys, I was surprised it came out this nice and was lucky I had the parts to complete it. I didn't know I was doing it until yesterday morning! I agree with John, I do like the Pewtar color of the metal. I didn't realize a WE Hookswitch was used on these

Christian, the paint wasn't as nice as the picture made it look. It looks like it was originally black, painted red and then painted a cream color. I left the red on the writing on the back...Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131739526827

Kidphone

andre_janew

Are you going to a clear coat of some kind on it?

Doug Rose

I am going to leave it as it is. I never put a clear coat on a phone.
Kidphone

Mr. Bones

Absolutely beautiful job, Doug! 8)

I love my 2 'toasters', even if they didn't work, they'd still serve as great doorstops, or small boat anchors! ;)

Please, let me know if you run across another Conn. handset, I've been needing one for (quite) some time.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus